Chapter 8: Home Sweet Home?

'I'm home?' Thought Sakuri as the group took the moment to catch their breath before Chris jolted up and scanned the room. Chris pulled her behind him as he stared onward.

"Devin, portal me." Chris demanded and was not surprised when he couldn't make one. "As I thought, it's an illusion. Don't trust anything."

"Sakuri? Is that you? Come down it's dinner time." The voice of an older woman called from deeper within the area.

"Mom?" Sakuri said before wandering towards the stairwell.

"It's an illusion, remember? That's...probably not your mom. Even if she was, she might not be anymore." Devin said solemnly as he grabbed her shoulder.

"But it could be her." Sakuri made her way down the stairs. Two doors directly to the left and right of the stairwell and one more on the far left side of the hall. 'Left side.' She thought as she rounded into where her kitchen would be.

"Sakuri! You can't just wander off..." Chris shouted as he looked onward to the sight of what was Sakuri's mom dining on an unfortunate female victim, only due to the parts that weren't devoured completely. Sakuri sat on her knees and wept, unable to be consoled despite Chris and, later, Devin's best attempts.

Sakuri's mother stood, her face nonexistent, as no features remained. Only a blank white wall dotted with the blood of the victim. Her entire front was stained in blood, ruining the once yellow apron. One arm had been mangled into a tendril shape and she wielded a large chef knife in her remaining hand. "Br-ough-t gu-est-s? Hu-rry, EAT!"

"Sorry ma'am but we ate before we got here." Chris said, pulling Sakuri to her feet.

"No we didn't." Devin responded, noticing that they had no feelings of hunger.

"Shut up and start moving." Chris hissed as Sakuri's mom began to move towards them.

"FOOD HERE! EAT!" The mother cried out, mixing in nonsense and gibberish. Completely broken, completely corrupted.

"Oh shit!" Chris said, noticing the once empty hall contained strange monsters. Round, green creatures on stilt legs smiled menacingly as they wandered the hall. A larger version of the Corpus creature also patrolled the hall now, it was much faster than its little brothers. Chris hoisted Sakuri upon his back as she was still incoherent. "Where to?!"

"Down the hall completely, take a left...bath should lead to the garden." Sakuri whispered weakly.

Chris turned around to Devin and gave a nod as they ran through the hall away from her mom, passing through a magenta room and taking a right. The bathroom was small, a tub and a lone window. The water in the tub was murky green and smelt of mold. "Window it is."

Setting Sakuri down, Chris climbed through and found himself in dark grass, some red flowers poked through from time to time. Chris looked through the window and beckoned Sakuri through before carrying her once more. Devin climbed through shortly after Sakuri's mother tore the door down with the arm tendril. What lied ahead was now more of those green smiling creatures and now wooden oval shaped objects that exposed a thin steel edge when they spun across the room. Facing vertically meant that they had to time when they passed it, but the green creatures made that chance low.

"Okay, ready Sakuri?" Chris said, looking over his shoulder.

She nodded and he began to weave past the green creatures, narrowly missing a spinning blade by a hair, before they found another window. Inside the next room was a red, rusty key and a shadow figure staring at them from the corner. With Devin regrouping with them they climbed into the next room and grabbed the key, Sakuri's mom bursting in seconds after.