The Fire

I suit up quicker than normal. I was about to hop in the ambulance with my buddy Dulberry, but the captain called out to me.

"Clouse! This isn't your call, kid!" He yelled over the commotion.

"It is when family's involved!" I yelled back, jumping in the vehicle and closing the doors. The vehicle took off towards the house, the other trucks were already there with people outside.

"Clouse! David, Erika, and Charlie are still in there!" Brian called out to me.

I ran up to him and gave him a quick glance over. No injuries. That's good. "Where are they?" I ask hurriedly.

"They're in the spare room upstairs on the left... God my head is killing me..." Brian said, muttering the last part. I turned toward the captain.

"You hearin this? There's a gas leak..." I mutter, before my captain gave me a nod to go in.

"Hurry up... If it's not big of a drop or if there's a fire ladder... use it." He quickly had everyone move backwards, away from the house while I sprinted in. On my way up the stairs my foot got stuck. I stared to panick.

"Help us!" I heard David yell, making me tear the cloth and some skin that had adorned my leg.

I had gotten to the door. "David back up the door's gettin broken down."

"But (m/n) the fire-" He started, worried.

"I don't care it will only be for a second!" I yelled and heard shuffling. I kicked the door down to see Erika and Charlie unconscious.

I grab Charlie and David picks up Erika with a better grip. I look around the room and see an escape ladder. I throw Charlie over my shoulder and open the window setting up the heavy metal.

"David I'm going to have you go down with Erika and I'm gonna come down next alright? Be ready to catch Charlie if I need you to.... I don't think the floor is gonna last much longer!" I yelled over the roaring flames. He gave me a curt nod and quickly went down the ladder, being careful with the curly headed girl. I felt the floor shake as I went to step out of the window. My eyes widen. "David! Quick!" I yelled. I saw him ready to catch my brother. I quickly tossed Charlie to David. The boy stumbled back, but he had regained himself. I saw him look up at me, waiting for me to get out.

A loud crash could be heard around the property. The gas tank had exploded. The floor underneath me collapsed instantly. It was getting harder to breathe. Rubble had stopped me from breaking the window and escaping. The flames kept getting higher and higher. I heard shouting. Two irish accents. David and Brian had come to help me. I raised my hand as far as I could. My ankle was practically melted at this point. I heard glass breaking and tried to get up. I felt two hands grab mine and pulled me out through the window, tearing some of the thick fabric of the suit.

They put my arms around their shoulders and helped me over to the ambulance. Dulberry's was still there. He patched me up quickly and went back into the vehicle and took off with my brother and his friend.

"Clouse! Clouse, I thought you died! Don't scare me like that!" Captain yelled at me. I sheepishly smile and go to stand up. I wince and he helps me sit on the grass.

"Thanks Cap... This is very much appreciated." I chuckle breathily, shaking my head.

"You , Clouse, are ridiculous. Look kid... I'm going to give you the next few days off. Also, I got word that your brother is in stable condition as well as his friend." He smiled.

"Perfect! I'll be heading there now! Bye Ca-" He had cut me off.

"Clouse... The police are coming here to question what happened." I started to panick... If they found out I brought alcohol, I'd be done for! "Let's pray that the alcohol has been disposed of or there is no evidence of it. " I froze, and turned to my captain.