Chapter Five

Graduation day was when Mitch first kissed me.

_______________________________________________________

It was right after the principal announced our class. He allowed us to throw our caps up in the air. The gym ceiling filled up with dark blue fabric. I missed catching my own by an inch. It landed on the floor. I saw a hand go for it. I opened my mouth to argue it was mine, but then I realized it was Mitch.

"Thanks." I put it back on and smiled. Mitch kept staring at me. I ignored it and searched in the crowd for my parents. I was going to a party afterward, but I wanted to say goodbye first. Everyone took pictures and were slowly leaving the gym. Mitch kept staring, like he wanted to tell me something.

"Mitch is there something wron-" I was cut off with his lips enclosing on mine. It only happened for maybe half a second, but I didn't want him to stop. "I've been meaning to do that." He said to himself. I grinned like a first grader with a gold star on his paper.

He walked off into the crowd. I didn't seem him at the party, or the whole weekend. I didn't know what I would say to him if I did say him.

Next week, we both went to our mailboxes at the sane time. He acted as if nothing happened. I knew he loved me. And all this time I had loved him.

_________________________________________________________

I sit the yearbook down when I hear a crying sound coming from downstairs. I ignore it. I am now part of this attic. I need to keep going through the box. I want to remember every little price of him I can find.

I remember little bits and pieces of after high school. Mitch and I started dating not long after. Jerome went to a university no where nearby, so we only got to chat to him VIA phone or email.

Mitch and I went to the same place, but on opposite sides of the campus. We'd meet in the front lawn, outside the gym. But our favorite place to go was a frozen yogurt shop about a block away.

_________________________________________________________

"Hey." He said. I glanced up from my textbook. We were usually the only customers there in the mornings, so it was just us.

"Hey. They have blueberry again." Mitch smirked. "You got a cup without me!"

"That's because I get up half an hour earlier." I replied with a laugh. That was the main reason he was late to class on Wednesdays. He always overslept.

He went to the machines and bought his own blueberry yogurt and sat across from me. I closed my textbook and smiled.

"You know the tests are coming Monday. Then we will be able to graduate." He nodded and took another spoonful.

"I'm going to get a job. Then we could buy a house together." I blushed slightly and agreed.

"That would be nice." Was all I said. We talked about classes and the sports team for a while, then left to go to class. We scheduled our classes so we would always have time to see each other like this.

I gave him a kiss as he closed the door. I would stand in front of the shop, watching him walk down the sidewalk until he was out of sight, or until the owner would yell at me. I was high over heels for him.

_________________________________________________________

I would give anything right now at have those days back. The wailing sounds of crying slipped from one ear to another, but it had no affect on my heartbroken mind.