Chapter Nine

The most painful memory comes back to me, stabbing me in the head. It was supposed to be one of the best moments of our lives, yet it was the worst.

The birth of our baby.

_____________________________________________________

Mitch was at work, some fifteen minutes into the city. I was already put in the hospital. Jerome was there, as well as my parents. Jerome called Mitch and he said he was coming soon. 

"Trust me, Mitch is going to be here in a few minutes." Jerome said. I nodded and took a deep breath.

The nurse who had come in moments before, returned and looked at Jerome. 

"She's ready to go to the delivery room." 

"OK. See you in a few Katie." He said. Another nurse came in and wheeled me out to the delivery room.

Then I had my child.

A/N: I AM SKIPPING THIS PART BECAUSE TO ME IT IS GROSS AND YOU GUYS PROBABLU DONT WANT TO HERE IT KAY? KAY

My parents came in a few minutes later. I kept smiling.

"Where is he?" My dad asked.

"They're just checking on his health, that's all. Where's Mitch?" I asked.

"I don't know. I got a text from him a few minutes ago. He'll be here. He just might be in traffic." I nodded, but I was still nervous. He should have been here by now, we called him two hours ago.

"Here you go Mrs. Hughes." The nurse returned with a little blue rag in her hands. Inside all wrapped up his my new born son.

"Oh my gosh he's adorable!" My mom squealed. I hugged him. His face was still bright red, and his eyes were still closed. I adored every little breathe he took.

"Say cheese!" My mom said. I looked up and her camera was dangling in my face. I held the baby up and smiled.

"Aunt Joan and Uncle Rich are here." My dad said. They practically burst into the hospital room.

"I need to see my new nephew!" Aunt Joan said. 

"He's so sweet!" 

The baby's eyes opened. They were a warm brown, just like Mitch's. 

"What are you going to name him?'' Uncle Rich asked.

"I don't know. We couldn't decide on a name yet. Jerome, can you please try to call him again?" I begged. He looked up from his cell phone.

"I will in a sec." He left the room to probably call him.

"Want to hold him Mom?" I asked. She grabbed him and held him in his arms. "Reminds me of you some twenty years ago." I smiled.

"Katie." Jerome called. He came back into the room. His face was pale. Tears were in his eyes.

"What's wrong Jerome?" I asked, my voice raising to a panic.

"I-it's Mitch." He blinked. My heart went up.

"He's....he's gone. He died in a car crash while trying to get here."

I was happy I gave the baby to my mother, because I fainted.

___________________________________________________

The pain in my chest became worse than it was before. He never got to see his firstborn child. I remember that as soon as I came to, and I had finally calmed down, I knew what to name the baby.

Mitch JR.