Chapter 2

Chapter 2 *Talon's POV*

The sky was a lilac color, the mixture of the sunrise and magical barrier often made the gorgeous scene unfold. In my arms was a sky nymph, with dark tan skin and a blue glow surrounding her. She was quite pretty, and a good kisser. I think her name was Kelly, Katy, something like that. I allowed myself a few more moments of her cool embrace, knowing that I'd soon need to get ready for school. The sky nymph's eyes flutter a bit before her blue eyes lock onto mine. They weren't a pretty blue but dirty. Stained with brown spots as if each spot was another sin. She groggily sits up and leans in to kiss me. I yawn while casually pushing her away and rising.

With a crack of my neck I start talking. "Well, it's been fun Karen-"

"Kalley." She interrupts me. "My name's Kalley." She glares up at me.

"Whatever, Kalley, been fun, you're great company like always, ~ but you gotta go." I state. Kalley didn't take too kindly with my rudeness and was shrieking as she gathered her clothes. I glare at her antics, not helping my hangover. I wave at her while flopping back onto my nest. She often kept me company even though I'd throw her out by morning. Shame I can never recall her name, it would save me a lot of headaches.

I had peace and quiet for approximately 3 minutes before my older brother, Max, barges into my room. "Seriously Talon, again?" He calls while aggressively yanking me up from my nest and sending me a rude glare. He could've at least knocked.

"Fuck off Max." I state while meeting his eyes. We're the same height so neither of us had the advantage, though I clearly won by not caring. I glide away from him and grab a black tank top. Slipping it over my head and covering my chest. Max was already dressed and ready for school like a good little nymph boy. His curly chestnut hair was neatly parted to the side and combed, his button up shirt was ironed, and his tight blue jeans were free of holes.

Max continues on his little rant, which I only half pay attention too. "When you meet your mate they'll be heartbroken!" He yells while I pull on a navy blue hoodie, and then jump into some black ripped skinny jeans. Rolling my eyes at Max before meeting his gaze. "You can't go on like this, eventually you'll realize the you want a happy mate and family. I only pray it's before you lose them."

I place my hands on his shoulder, "Maxi-boi, that's not gonna happen, because I don't want a mate."

He hisses at me while shoving me back a few feet. "Yes you do! Every-one wants their mate. The only people who don't have mates is because their mate died! Is that what you want?!"

I'm not sure why Max was so passionate about this, neither of us have met our mate, and we're orphans. Not like we had a loving family growing up. Maybe that's why he's so angry about it, because we didn't have a pair of mates to raise us like we should've. Either way finding our mate is far harder than the were-wolves have it. They just see, or smell them and bam! They know. If only! We have to be vulnerable with them. The mate pull is there but it's lessened up until we grow close to them. The confirmation that people are mates is harder to understand, we get tattoos. Strange I know, but it starts to grow in a spot once you meet them and continues until it takes up a portion of you. Some people have it on their stomach, chest, arm, legs, it depends on the person. If you're mated to a nymph you get it too, you don't have to be a nymph. Were-wolves hate it typically, something about them being tainted, and impure. I don't know what the problem is though.

I glance over at Max, who had calmed down. We're walking down the falls of our building towards the ugly yellow school bus. He is anxiously running a hand through his curly locks, messing up all the hard work I know he put into it. His eyes are a darker gray than normal, I wonder what's on his mind.

We didn't really walk as we board the school bus. I'm 18, and even though Mac is older we're in the same grade. See there are 2 ways that us nymphs can be brought into this world. Either a pair of mates birth us (similar to humans), or The Mother does. Mother nature. My brother and I hatched- from an egg of sorts, we call it an Ulthera. They are virtually impossible to crack, er tear. It's not very hard, more so like a gelatin plastic of sorts. Nymphs born from Ulthera are rare, so are twins. Like us. We're fraternal. Our ultheras were attached, but he was born 2 months earlier than I. Our ultheras had chosen to gather in this community, it's called Kaiso and it's a big group of- well non-humans. We've got a pack of werewolves, nymphs, faeries, mermates and -lings of all kinds.

Max and I take our seat in number 8 while lugging our bags in front of us. A were-chick sits next to us, er in the opposing seat 8. Her name was Marcy, Mace, I don't remember. Her face was dark, sad-looking. Her eyes were a dark brown, and they met Max's gray ones briefly. She looked away and placed her head down. As if she were submitting to him. Max looks away with pain in his eyes. What's up between them? Mavey's perfect blonde hair was neatly tied back with a white bow, that she kept adjusting, and spurred out at the opening curling in all sorts of directions. She was wearing a neat white dress that flared up at the hips and came up to the top of her neck. Around her shoulders was a tan crochet shawl with tiny yellow flowers. A conservative look that was springy. Her eyes were dark... so very dark.

"Talon?" Max nudges me. I snap out of it and smile at my brother.

"Yes Maxi-boi?" I ponder while pulling my camera from my bookbag to fiddle with.

He clicks his tongue and shifts his backpack. "Stop calling me that one. Two... do you have any lunch money?"

I turn over to him while the screen to my camera loads up. "I gave you yours yesterday, why do you need more?"

He bites his cheek, like he does when he lies, I raise my eyebrows at his action. "I seem to have misplaced mine yesterday, and there's not enough money in my account for lunch today."

I give him the look. The one that says I don't believe him. He turns away, getting my meaning as I pull out my wallet. I slip a 20 towards him through my fingers. I do photography as a side job and run a blog that generates some extra spending money for us. I turn back to my camera, with a lump in my throat. I need to know what's up with him.

After a while, we pull up to school and everyone files out of the bus. Children spurr everywhere and form their small circles of friends. I walk to my class with heavy feet and take my seat while I continue to go through the photos I had taken previously. The teacher said nothing and continued doing her thing. She was quite attractive actually. With chocolate hair and a tight fitting skirt. Her eyes though, were disgusting. A weird combination of brown and green. It was gross.

I glare at her eyes while I play with my lip ring. Many people think Max and I are 'edgy' but the 'piercings' are quite natural. We can't take them out, they just showed up as we got older, sort've like freckles. I have one on my bottom lip to the right, a stud in my nose, and two on my left eyebrow. There are more, but it'd take ages to explain all of them. Nymphs have the strangest things happen to them, I swear. In any case, the bell rings and students barge in. Just another normal boring day at school.