Thomas' POV

Minho was really pissed off at Newt and I, but I didn't care. A flush crept into my cheeks as I relived the moment. Had it been real? Had we really kissed? It must have been, otherwise Minho wouldn't be so mad. "How dare you!" Minho yelled at Newt. "Calm down, Minho," Newt said. "I can explain," he assured him. "You can bloody explain but it won't change that you just kissed my shank," Minho growled, then stalked off. "I'm sorry..." I started to say, but Newt cut me off. "Don't be," he said, kissed my cheek and left in the direction of the homestead. I returned to where Winston was awaiting me. "Where were you?" he demanded. "With Newt," I told him. "Okay," Winston said, eyeing me suspiciously. I daydreamed about Newt, the boy who I was developing a passion for as I chopped up a chicken. His accent, his eyes, his hair. I shook my head to concentrate better on preparing the meat, but I kept returning to his soft lips, and how they had tasted. After my duty was done I went outside and walked around, searching for him. I looked at the little forest in the corner and went towards it, fascinated.

I entered the cool shade of the trees and turned around. I wondered what a forest was doing in this place. A beetle blade scuttled over my shoe, it's red light slightly illuminating the gloom. I followed it to a graveyard. The rickety wooden tombstones were slightly rotted. I knelt to examine them, brushing dust away. I heard a yell and turned, right before I was knocked off my feet. "Help!" I yelled. I kicked and struggled, but couldn't free myself. Were all the gladers this strong? "Tommy?" a frightened shout came out of the gloom, and three gladers rushed out of the thicket, Newt leading them. He had a bow and a few arrows in his hand. Ben punched me in the face, and blood ran out of my nose. Newt shot the arrow, hitting Ben in the head as he slumped over me. They pulled him off, and Newt crouched over me protectively. He wiped the blood from my nose. "Are you okay, Tommy?" Newt asked, really concerned. I nodded and let him pull me to my feet. His hands were strong, but miraculously soft. I squeezed his hand a little before I let it go, and he smiled at me. His smile was the most wonderful part about him, I thought. We walked out of the forest side by side, with the people dragging Ben behind us. "Is he dead?" I looked back. There was no movement, but suddenly I saw a twitch in his fingers and a low groan came out of his mouth. Newt glanced at him in concern, depositing him with a few guards. Then Newt disappeared for a moment and came back with Alby. All the Keepers gathered and all the gladers as well. Alby recited the rules to a frightened Ben, who had blood streaming from his head. "Please, I didn't mean it," he sobbed from the ground. Alby paid no mind. "Ben of the Builders, you have been sentenced to banishment," Alby announced. Ben shrieked, and I would have felt sorry if not for his attempt to kill or harm me. I reached for Newt's hand, and he gladly took it. Newt looked at me and squeezed gently. The Keepers pointed their sticks at Ben and slowly pushed him towards the door. Newt let go of my hand, picked up a collar and walked over to Ben. He put the collar around Ben's neck just as the doors began to close. "You should have left my Tommy alone," Newt hissed at him, and shoved Ben out the door. "Now you have to suffer the consequences," Newt added. Ben wailed and tried to come back, but Newt poked him with his stick. "Nooo!" Ben screamed. The doors slammed shut, and the Glade fell silent.