Newt's POV

I shuddered and curled up tighter into a compressed ball. The Maze. It struck fear into my heart, and I rubbed my leg in memory of all the pain and panic I had suffered there. My mind wandered to Tommy. He was too curious, and if he wandered behind those walls, would I be willing to risk that danger to save him? I didn't know. I closed my eyes in the dark and grasped a dagger. I clenched it tightly as if it were my only hope in this world. For a moment, the tip of it rested above my neck and I contemplated what it would feel like to die. Would I realize the cold and my pain? I shook my head. "No," I whispered softly. "No," I said with a hardened voice. "No!" I finally screamed, and threw the weapon across my hiding spot. I couldn't bring myself to end my life. I had tried already, and it didn't work. Also, Tommy needed me. I shook my head again to rid myself of such thoughts and crawled out of the basement, squinting at the light. I looked around for Tommy and saw a clump of gladers standing by the east door. Among them, my Tommy was standing, with a confused look on his face. "What's going on?" I whispered, running my hand along his arm. Tommy explained the current situation to me and I nodded, glad I wasn't required to go out into the Maze. Duties were postponed, as everyone wanted to keep watch to see when they came back. An hour passed. Two hours. Slowly people were trickling away. "They're probably lost or dead," I concluded when the sun started to sink. "Come on, Tommy," I said, walking back to get us some food. I was halfway there when he gave a shout. I turned back at once and rushed to see what was the commotion. Most of the boys had the same idea. Rounding a corner were Minho and Alby, with Minho half dragging, half carrying Alby. "We have to go in there!" Thomas shouted frantically. The walls started to close, and Minho moved faster. I grabbed Thomas' arm to prevent him from running out. "No!" I yelled. The walls got closer and closer. Thomas wrenched free and sprinted through the doors. The doors were a yard wide. He reached them and started pulling Alby, making them go faster. I couldn't breathe as I watched the doors get smaller and smaller. Worry consumed me. They were almost to the doors when the doors slammed shut. "TOMMY!!!!" I screamed, clawing at the doors. I ripped vines off the wall as I desperately in an attempt to climb over the save my Tommy. I screamed and fell off from about two yards. I was up in an instant, banging the closed doors. "Tommy," I cried. "No, this can't be happening," I whimpered as I fell down, exhausted. A tear trickled down my cheek, and I caught it. I sat there, gazing at that drop of emotion, until I was as calm as I could be in that situation and everyone else had left. "Good bye, Tommy," I whispered through the minuscule crack between the doors. "I loved you," I sobbed, and sank down, my head on the cold stone. Tommy would die out there, and it was my fault because I couldn't stop him. I heard clicking and crashes and muffled shouts. I shuddered. Tommy, I thought and looked up at the stars.