Thomas' POV

I don't remember Newt leaving, but I heard the grating of the door. "Morning!" he smiled, running his fingers through his honey colored hair. I stood and smiled back, and we walked out holding hands. (Thomas). (Thomas). (THOMAS). I stopped abruptly and put my hands to my head. "What is it?" Newt asked. "There's a girl's voice in my head," I replied. "I think her name is Teresa," I added, and started heading to where the girl in the coma was. Newt followed, a little slower due to his limp. When we arrived the med-jacks were going around. "She woke," they told us. The girl, Teresa, was sitting on the edge of the bed. On her arm were the words: WICKED is good. I talked to her for a little bit, asking how she could talk to me. "Don't tell anyone about our gift," Teresa whispered. Too late, I had already told Newt. Not that I would has kept it a secret anyway. Newt was a true friend and I trusted him. Later that day, Minho took me out to the maze for my first run. It was amazing to see how he ran through the routine like it was nothing. Newt said he used to be a runner. I wondered if he was better than Minho. When we got back, Newt was waiting for us, smiling that grin that made the world feel good. Better. "Hey Tommy," he pulled me into his strong arms. "Hi," I nuzzled up against his cheek. "Shucks," Minho laughed and walked off. "Let's go to the deadheads," Newt suggested. I nodded. The deadheads was our private spot, where we felt safe in our emotions. We had just passed the graveyard when the sky turned gray. "Newt?" I sounded scared. "It's alright Tommy," Newt squeezed my hand. The keepers conferred for a while and decided to keep duties going, even with a shucked up sky. "Looks like we'll have to wait," Newt sounded a little sad. I nodded and hugged him good-bye, then ran after Minho. I was distracted almost the whole run because I kept getting messages from Teresa. I tried to ignore them, but then I was able to reply back mentally! (I wonder why we can do this,) I thought to her. (Maybe we were lovers.) Woah. Wait wait wait. I didn't like this girl, I liked Newt. Newt with his accent and his cute little limp. Maybe I even loved him. I realized I had stopped and quickly ran to catch up with Minho. "Griever!" Minho yelled as we rounded a corner. The griever didn't seem to notice us, it just rolled and clicked toward the cliff. Then it disappeared. Minho ran after it, me close behind. We saw it disappearing over the top. When we finally got to the edge, there was no griever. No falling sound. Huh. "Huh," Minho voiced my thought. "I wonder where that klunk griever went," he huffed, as he continued to gaze over the cliff.  He got a rock and threw it, and it disappeared as well, like it was swallowed up my a blank space.  "I'll be there in a moment, go ahead," Minho, waved at me in an off-hand manner.  "You sure?" I asked.  He didn't reply, just picked up another rock and threw it.  I shrugged, and finally headed back to the Glade, and to Newt's comforting arms.

"How's my brave little shank?" Newt kissed the bridge of my nose. I smiled and had opened my mouth to speak when Teresa and Alby came up. "The maze is a code," they announced gravely. We followed them to the map room and looked at the papers for a while. Suddenly clicks and whirrs filled the air, and the head of a griever peeped at us. "RUN!" The shout seemed to appear out of thin air from all the different directions. I ran, not even caring about the others. From the corner of my eye, I saw Minho shrieking as he ran into the Glade.  I paused as Minho pounded beside me, breathless, and so did Teresa and Alby. Where was Newt? I turned to see him falling. "Newt?" I yelled, stopping. Teresa pulled my arm. Newt struggled to his feet, a griever close behind. He wouldn't make it. Wrenching free of Teresa's grip, I ran back to him, dragging him along. Click. Click. Click. "Come on!" Minho shouted, pulling both of us now. Alby held the door open as all three of us lurched inside. A claw stuck through the closed door. The gladers rushed to barricade it with boards and various wooden furnishings. Newt was sprawled along the floor. "Hey, you okay?" I asked him, gently shaking his arm. "Yeah, I guess," he licked his lips. "We're gonna be okay," I assured him. "We're safe now," I added, running my fingers up his arm. He nodded back.