fake smile.

Jazelle leans back in the recliner as she skips to the next song on her playlist

Jazelle leans back in the recliner as she skips to the next song on her playlist. Ariana Grande's Fake Smile plays smoothly in her AirPods. She tunes in immediately because this song was relatable for the most part. It displayed what emotions were currently circulating throughout her bloodstream. Feelings that have stuck with her since that fateful night.

She was tired of pretending and acting as if everything was okay. Something she constantly did especially with Jasai. The scorned woman she was has turned her into a beast. A beast with much beauty; fierce and fiery. Alluring on the outside but unapologetic in the worst way. She's been through her own struggles, struggles that shaped her into the person she was today. It was a permanent aura that produced potent energy that everyone around her could feel.

The person that Jasai last remember wasn't the person who presented herself in front of him today. He no longer recognized his sister. He sat at the opposite side of the room as he observed his sister twisting her body in her seat as her eyes stayed glued to her phone. It was abnormal for Jazelle to not indulge in conversation with Jasai, especially after their long period of separation but she stayed consumed in her own world. A world Jasai no longer felt a part of.

What was Jazelle supposed to say? How one of his best friends completely altered her perception of love? How she no longer felt like she could trust men, even her brother after he didn't run away with her? How she felt worthless after what Travis put her through so she sold her body to have some sort of control? How was she wasn't going to stop? How she felt disconnected from him? It wasn't that easy or simple to discuss.

She had to remind herself that she was only doing this because she loved her brother. Hell or high water, she'd do anything for her brother whether they had an alienated kinship or not.

And I won't say I'm feeling fine
After what I been through, I can't lie

She didn't know how to have a conversation with her brother nor did he know how to initiate one. Their relationship was estranged to the point that it needed major repairs. The foundation that was once solid was now caving in. It was almost to the point of foreclosure but deep down inside, neither of them wanted it to get to that point. They'll probably do anything to fix their relationship. If only they could put their pride to the side to prevent their once loving relationship from crumbling

If I'm hurt, I ain't gon' lie about it
Arms crossed with the attitude, lips pouted
If I'm mad, I ain't gon' lie about it
Neckroll with the attitude, yuh

Jasai wasn't the only one keeping a close eye on Jazelle. In the corner sat Blaze with a cherry Tatiana on his lap as she engaged in a conversation with Samiyah about some reality show he cared nothing about. Instead, his eyes were stuck to Jazelle like a magnet as he watched her over Tatiana's shoulder. His eyes follow her pink lips as they silently utter the words to the song stimulating her ears. His eyes skim down to her body that's moving to the beat. He's tempted but she's already proven to him that she's not worth the risk.