2

Jennifer was silent as her and her brother sat in the back of a black car

Jennifer was silent as her and her brother sat in the back of a black car. Erik sat across from them with one of his legs propped up against the other while he leaned his head back. His sunglasses were on and she would've thought he was sleeping had it not been for the fact that she could hear his thoughts racing through his mind.

Jennifer let out a small groan and put a hand to her head. Trying to concentrate on just one mind was difficult for the girl seeing as she had never been taught how, but trying to ignore the hundreds of other minds that all seemed to be screaming in her ears was even worse.

Her head was throbbing and she saw Erik lower his sunglasses down slightly so he could look at her. She put her hands to her temples and leaned her head against the cool glass of the window. Erik watched her for a second before looking to Andrew.

"What's wrong with her?" He questioned like she wasn't sitting right in front of him. Jennifer's head hurt too much to snap back that she was right there, so she just remained silent and groaned softly again as a piercing pain filled her head.

"She gets headaches when the voices become too much," Andrew explained as he looked to his sister in worry. "Voices?" Erik asked. "She is a mind reader," Andrew reminded him. "Right," Erik muttered as if he had forgotten that the girl had mutations. "We never really learned how to control our powers," Andrew explained.

"Sometimes my strength goes out of control and I break something I didn't mean to or I'll get too emotional and the wind will go crazy. And I haven't learned how to shut off feeling everyone's emotions, so I constantly feel what everyone else is feeling. Sometimes I didn't even know which emotions are my own," he admitted before he let out a sad chuckle. He then winced, his eyes flickering over to his sister as he felt her pain.

"For Jen it's a lot worse. Hearing everyone's thoughts all the time and all at once can give her some pretty awful headaches. Then there's the fact that-" Andrew trailed off when Jennifer's hands began to glow red. Her eyes were squeezed shut in pain and her hands grew brighter by the second as the pain started to become too much.

Andrew didn't even hesitate before reaching a hand out and placing it on the girl's shoulder. A wave of relief washed over the girl's face as she relaxed in the seat, her hands returning to their normal color as the pounding headache became nothing but a small throb.

Jennifer let out a sigh of relief and opened her eyes to give her brother a small smile. "Thank you," she whispered while Andrew gave her a pained smile.

The only thing about him changing her emotions was that he was able to feel her emotions ten times stronger than when he didn't mess with them. It would eventually wear off, but it took a few minutes to do which was why Andrew didn't tend to do it often and why Jennifer was so grateful when he did.