8

"In this week of Thanksgiving there is much for which we can be grateful as we look back to where we stood only four weeks ago

"In this week of Thanksgiving there is much for which we can be grateful as we look back to where we stood only four weeks ago. The unity of this hemisphere, the support of our allies and the calm determination of the American people. These qualities may be tested many more times in this decade."

Andrew let out a soft sigh and quickly turned the tv off, not wanting to listen to President Kennedy talk any longer. His fingers danced across the remote as he looked around the empty room, wondering where everyone was.

The red head silently got up from the couch and began to make his way around the house. It didn't take long for him to find Charles and Moira who were outside, Hank who was tinkering away in his lab, or Alex and Sean who were down in the basement training.

As for Jennifer, well, she was no where to be seen.

He could feel her emotions, so he knew she was still at the mansion, but it was taking a while just to find her. After another ten minutes, he finally spotted her vibrant red hair on one of the balconies of the house.

He smiled sadly and opened up the door before walking out to join her. She didn't bother turning to look at him, but the fact that she moved over a little to allow him to stand beside her told him that she knew he was there.

"How are you?" Andrew asked, his voice breaking the silence the two had been in. "Fine," Jennifer whispered, although her tone said the opposite. Andrew raised an eyebrow at her and she glanced over at him before chuckling softly and running a hair through her hair. "Okay, so I'm not fine.

"Wow, really?" Andrew asked in mock surprise earning a small whack in the arm from Jennifer. Andrew chuckled and leaned against the railing as he looked to his sister. "What's wrong? Is it Charles? Cause you know he hates knowing his state is making you upset," Andrew pointed out.

"A little. Then again, how can I not think about it? It's all I've been able to think about for the past couple of weeks. I could've stopped it, Andrew! Charles could be walking right now if I had warned everyone about my visions," Jennifer sighed, putting her head into her hands in frustration as she thought about Charles in his wheelchair prison.

"You did what you thought was right. You wanted to believe in the goodness of people and you thought that telling them what would happen would only make things worse," Andrew told her. "It's not your fault, Jen."

Jennifer didn't respond and just looked out at the scene before her, a blank look on her face. "But of course that's not all, is it? You're thinking about Erik," Andrew said, a small smile on his face. "I know you are. I know how much you cared about him."

"Don't act like you didn't care about him just as much as I did," Jennifer said as she pointed a finger at her brother. Andrew sighed and looked away, knowing Jennifer was right. In the short time they had been with Erik, they had started to see him as a fatherly figure just like Charles. Only they seemed to be a little closer to Erik than Charles.

Jennifer ran a hand through her hair again as she let out a deep breath. "I'm going to have to get used to the people we care about walking out on us," she whispered as she shrugged, trying to act like the whole situation was no big deal.

Andrew frowned and wrapped an arm around his twin, resting his head on top of her head as he ran a hand up and down her arm soothingly. Jennifer leaned into her brother's touch and asked, "Why do the people we care about always leave?"

Andrew sighed and shrugged, "I don't know, Jen." "Is there something wrong with us?" She questioned. "I don't know, Jen," he replied again.

Andrew tightened his grip on his sister and said, "But there is something I do know and that's that no matter who leaves us, no matter what comes our way, not matter what challenges we face, we will always have each other."

He then pulled away and held a pinkie out in Jennifer's direction. "It's you and me, Jen," he said.

Jennifer smiled softly and intertwined their pinkies as she whispered, "You and me."

And with that, the two embraced in a hug as they looked out at the sunset in front of them, both trying to enjoy the small moment that they had together as they thought about how much their lives had changed in the past couple of months.

They had went from living on the streets to living in a huge mansion with people who actually cared about them. Sure it wasn't all perfect, but whose life ever was? It was as perfect as it could've been and that was all that mattered.

And this? Well this was only the beginning.