1

"The future, a dark, desolate world

"The future, a dark, desolate world. A world of war, suffering, loss on both sides. Mutants, and the humans who dared to help them, fighting an enemy we cannot defeat."

"Are we destined down this path? Destined to destroy ourselves like so many species before us? Or can we evolve fast enough to change ourselves, change our fate?"

"Is the future truly set?"

- - -

SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE

"So few of us left," Charles Xavier muttered, his eyes opening momentarily to glance over at the woman who stood beside him. She was no longer the nine year old he had met all of those years ago and instead the same little red head had grown into the Jennifer that stood in front of his eyes at that very moment, her red hair having turned lighter with age while her face showed just how much she had aged during these times of crisis.

Her eyes were closed in pain and she had to blink rapidly as she opened her eyes in order to keep herself from crying, the yells of the few remaining mutants in pain echoing through her ears.

She shared a look with Charles and the man gave her a small, sad smile before holding a hand out. Jennifer reached out and took it, giving it a gentle squeeze as the two both felt their hearts ache with pain over the loved ones they had lost and the mutants they hadn't gotten the chance to know.

"Professor? Mom?" a voice called out from behind them causing Jennifer to break her gaze away from Charles and over to the cockpit of the X-Jet where her thirty year old twins Jaxson and Milo stood in the doorway next to her niece Laila.

"We've found them," Charles announced and their faces lit up for a second before they looked over towards Jennifer who gave them a warm smile.

"Now lets go get them," Jennifer said before the kids all nodded and quickly went back into the cockpit to tell Logan, Erik, and Storm about the good news. The red head stared after them before glancing over at Charles again, the man giving her a knowing look as he squeezed her hand once more.

"I miss them too," Charles whispered, his words making Jennifer tear up a bit as she thought of her brother and husband. She took in a shaky breath before nodding her head towards the cockpit.

"Come on, old man. They can't exactly get there if they don't know where 'there' is," Jennifer pointed out. Charles chuckled softly at that before the two made went off to meet up with the others, their hearts still heavy as the shouts of mutants lingered in the back of their minds.

- - -

Descending at an old monastery in China, Jennifer found herself already on high alert. If they were't careful, it could mean their death. And if they died now then there was no way they would be able to go forth with the plan her, Charles, and Erik had come up with and that would mean the end to mutants for good.