{14}

{14-I Am Not In Denial}

It seemed the time had come that everyone was headed home for the Holiday's and true to fashion, Hermione was staying at the castle, along with Severus who was not at all excited about the upcoming break.

"I hate the Christmas holiday," he had told her in the library one day that week before everyone was to leave.

"Why?"

"No matter, really, I just do." And of course that was all she was to get from him.

So, she figured it had something to do with home, and left it where it was.

Remus, on the other hand, was keen to be gone for the little while. Hermione could take a solid guess as to why, but she wished dearly that he would tell her. In fact, she tried very hard to get him to confess his secret as she walked with him around the castle one afternoon.

"Are you staying for the Holiday?"

Remus looked at her sadly, which had given her the answer she already knew.

"No, I have to have Christmas with my parents. You're staying, yeah?"

"Yeah," Hermione muttered, thinking hard about how to propose her next question, "You think I could come with you?"

This stopped them in the middle of the corridor, to which the boys behind them did not like. She pulled them to the side and apologized, but Remus still seemed shocked.

"You know, that'd be nice," he started, falling over his words as he did so, "I don't think my parents would like that much, though. Having a boy.. girl over for the holidays. We're a pretty small household, too, and--"

"It's fine," she'd stopped, not wanting to embarrass him if that's what he thought was happening. "Really, I didn't mean to pry into it, I'll just spend my days in the library, as usual."

"That is your favorite place," he said and nudged her shoulder.

"As if it isn't yours, too!" She quipped, nudging him back.

Hermione missed Remus, and she missed him because she was currently on the platform in Hogsmeade, waving as he, and all of her other friends, headed home for the Holidays.

Well, all bar Severus of course, who was awaiting her in the Great Hall. He'd sulked and said he hadn't any friends to send off, so he didn't bother to make the walk.

"Finally back?"

Hermione brushed the snow from her hair and mocked Severus, sitting down in front of him and looking down the way. She shed her outer layers and coats, glad to not see Dumbledore in his chair. DeLancey didn't watch her anymore than usual, only kept her updated on his research, and luckily enough McGonagall was lovely to her.

"Yes, what are you up to?" Hermione said, looking at the writing he was doing.

"Just some Potions work," he muttered, looking very concentrated as he scribbled away.

"Over the holiday?"

"I like Potions."

Severus looked up at her complacent look and rolled his eyes, shoving his belongings in his bag and sipping at hot tea.

"Are you happy now, Zel?"

"Very," Hermione said with a smirk. She dug into lunch, grabbing a sandwich, then looking at the people around her.

"How is... everything?" Severus asked her, looking at her with black eyes which she'd grown very used to now. Well, coming from the young face of him anyways.