{15}

{15-I'm Not Sorry But I'm Pretending I Am}

Hermione realized that it wasn't just her. Everyone seemed to be in the same mood, and since they were all spending time together, nothing was going too well. The irritation seemed to be passing back and forth, and even James and Lily were struggling to stay civil. The fact of the matter was, everyone was stressed. 

N.E.W.T.'s were very important tests, and they all knew that. Sirius seemed much less concerned than the rest of them, but those who did want to pass and do well in their future careers were studying hard. 

Now, in truth, it shouldn't have mattered to Hermione in the slightest. She didn't need to pass or have a job. In all honesty what she should have been doing is preparing to leave everyone which meant a whole slew of things she didn't care to think about. 

DeLancey was working his hardest to try and help her get back home, and although he hadn't run into anything particularly helpful yet, there was certainly merit in what he was trying to do for her. His help was more than she ever could have asked for. This was an adult wizard who had plenty of experience behind him, which was more than she would have had by herself. 

The table of six students was very quiet as they poured over textbooks and tried not to make eye-contact with one-another. Well, most of them, Hermione felt rather foolish studying so she was staring at Remus, attempting to commit him to memory in this happy state he was in. She was trying to remember the innocence of James and Lily too, how they looked at one-another as though there was no one else on the planet who could fit them so perfectly. And Sirius, his pride and unfaltering cockiness, how little that would change, but the years wouldn't be kind to him. 

She sighed, audibly, catching the attention of Remus who probably knew that sound very well. They'd been getting close over the past few months, everything going very well for them. He looked at her with a wicked grin she was sometimes very surprised he could manage, then stood up, looking aggravated.

"I'm going for a walk, if I look at one more tome I will claw my eyes out," he said, the boys giggling, Lily seeming unimpressed. 

Hermione got the joke, but she couldn't tell him that. As well as they were doing, he would never trust her as much as he trusted his friends who already knew. Those around him were so good to him. James had come back with a scratch one night, but didn't complain about it a wit. Not even a comment went towards it, and she commended them all for their kindness. 

They had even been kind to Severus over the past few weeks, she thought briefly. He and Hermione were still good friends, as she decided she'd just obliviate him as well. Regardless of that, he sat with her and the Gryffindors for every Quidditch game, even the Slytherin matches. He simply just shrunk a little more into his robes then, rooting for his house. It became routine, and he ignored them as much as he was ignored. So the marauders weren't exactly nice to Severus, merely paid him no mind, but that was better than nothing. 

Hermione knew Remus wanted to her to follow him, so she stood up and said politely, "I'm going to the loo, be back soon." 

Sirius snorted, but the other three only waved and stuck their noses back into their books. 

She found him almost immediately, sequestered away in one of the many crevices this bloody school had. 

"I'm going mad, I don't want to pass anymore," he said as he pulled her to him, a warm forehead against her own. 

"Oh, shut it, you want an O just as much as I do. You'll do brilliantly."

He scoffed, pulling back to rest his head against the cold stone. "Would you do me a favor?"