{22}

{22-If You Thought We Were Going to Let You DIE-}

When Hermione came to there was a body standing in front of her, wand pointed out, but it was shaking slightly, as though they weren't entirely sure what they were doing. Her vision was blurred, and she felt like she'd been hit with millions of curses, hair covering her face and eyes crusty with tears she was sure were shed with contempt.

"What are you doing, Wormtail? Throwing away your chance at a seat by my side? All she did was put the process into motion, I'll be more powerful now, I have a million reasons to kill everyone in my way. And you're in my way."

Peter? Hermione looked up from her spot on the floor, attempting to sit up, even slightly. She couldn't get much footing, but she could see through blurred vision, Peter was wand to wand with Voldemort, looking extremely unsure of himself.

"She doesn't deserve this. She's kind... so kind."

"Kindness gets you nowhere, Wormtail. If you want something you must seize it with your ferocity and shred through those who demand you step aside."

That was a warning for a faithful servant, and Hermione did her best to try and pick herself up, but she still was failing, getting no more than up on her side.

Peter shook his head, and Hermione breathed in and out, ignoring the protests of her lungs. She felt around for her wand, unable to locate it. Of course Voldemort had taken it, he wasn't daft.

"Have it your way, then."

Voldemort was slow with his wand, seemingly ready to cherish the moment that he got to take this mans life, but Peter was quick, he was quicker than Hermione thought it possible, and with the quick flick of his wand he had Voldemort stupefied, but not dead. The rest of the Death Eaters were in such shock, that they ran over towards Voldemort instead of hashing in on Peter who ran to Hermione, tripping on the carpet and falling at her side.

She could have laughed if their lives weren't at risk.

"Are you okay?"

"My wand," she begged.

He nodded, looking back as he scrambled up, a slight struggle because of his weight. It didn't take long for him to find the forgotten wand close to them, and he handed it to her, turning back to the Death Eaters who were all pestering their Lord. A fight was coming, and Hermione was doing her best to stand, but she couldn't, not quite yet.

Peter could not take on all the Death Eaters, and as Voldemort regained his composure, calling for an attack, she had never been more thankful to hear the sound of Order Members buzzing into the room, immediately taking action. She backed up to the nearest sofa, watching as Dumbledore and McGonagall fought off several Death Eaters by themselves, and several other Order members seemed be doing just as well. Vaguely aware of Neville's parents, two more utterly brave Aurors, Hermione was soon distracted by a woman's presence next to her.

"You know, I thought you were dead."

She bobbed her head to the side and huffed, "Mary?"

"Who else? You got yourself into all this bloody trouble and didn't tell anyone? Gods, Hermione. Healers can only do so much work. Remus came and saw me a while back, poor thing misses you, not like that of course. That would be silly considering he's with Sirius. Handsome bloke, I'm kind of jealous, actually."

All this information could have knocked Hermione right back out. Remus missed her? Surely she was imagining Mary, that was the only option for all the odd bits and ends of drama she was receiving.