{16}

{16-Are My Hearing Aids Working Right?}

There was silence that day, as everyone had gone to Hogsmeade that evening for a breather from studying, but not Hermione. No, she sat in the library with Severus, not entirely sure how he'd forgiven her for forgiving Remus. 

It was so silent in there that Hermione almost fell from her chair when Severus spoke to her briefly. Now, it had been a rough week, but surely that didn't mean she was hearing things. 

"Could you repeat that?" She asked him calmly, still not sure whether or not her ears were working. Was it a jinx she'd overlooked in her studies? For he certainly had not said the words she thought he had said. The world hadn't fallen in either, so maybe she really was hearing things. 

"I think I want to apologize to Lily Evans." It was stern this time, black eyes looking at her as though she'd just gone off her rocker... or chair in this case. 

Hermione drew in a quick breath and held it, feeling as though the world had just turned upside down. He couldn't possibly want to do that, not now, not ever, if she didn't want to go down as the woman who ruined time and well... existence

"I don't think you do," she said firmly, going back to her books and hoping he would spectacularly believe she was right! 

It earned her a laugh, one of actual amusement, and he put his hand over her book, "No, I mean it, Zel. I've been thinking about it for months now, and before we all graduate, I think I'd like to apologize to her. It wasn't right what I did, and bad things are starting to happen, I'd hate to get caught up in something like that. Forgiveness is something that everyone deserves, and you've taught me that. If you can forgive Lupin for the terrible thing he did to you, I think she can forgive me." 

The sincerity in Severus' voice was terrifying. He truly wanted to do this, didn't he? And suddenly it was Hermione's job to fix it. It didn't much sound like fixing if she was going to tell him not to do a good thing and follow a bad path down to Death-Eater-ism, but you have to do what you have to do. 

"I forgave Remus because he'd been straight up with me, hasn't it been a few years for you two? She hates me, and it's only because I'm friends with you, so I can only imagine that that doesn't mean anything good." 

Severus seemed downtrodden for a moment, but then picked himself back up, "I don't care. I want to make things right. And if she doesn't accept my apology, then at least I can sleep at night knowing I tried." 

He stood viciously, earning them a few silently scathing looks which she tried very hard to ignore. Of course she just had to follow. She couldn't let him run off and attempt to do such a foolish thing int hat very moment. Who knows what would have happened. 

"You're not going to do this right now, are you?" She asked him, running to keep up with his long legs and unnatural speed. Since when was he so lithe? 

"No moment like the present, as the muggles would say," he replied, very unlike himself. 

Hermione could have hit herself on the head... or him, whichever got the job done faster. As long as he didn't go through with this! Her heart was racing at the absurdity. Would she get caught if she hexed him right in the middle of the corridor? 

"She could just laugh in your face," she offered, quite unhelpfully to her own case as he was walking so fast he certainly didn't care to hear her. 

"I'd deserve it, then," he called over his shoulder. 

"No, I don't think so, but to each their own, I suppose." 

"Why don't you want me to apologize, Florizel?"