Dungeon Delver

Jared walked into the building of his new job in high spirit, ecstatic. He'd offered to be one of the first to experiment with the delving chairs and he'd been lucky enough to get chosen. As he walked through the building, he thought about this job and what it entailed: Sit in a special chair all day and gather data. That was it, as far as he knew.

He didn't know how exactly he would gather data from a chair, or what he needed to gather, but he had hope they'd tell him so he could do well in this new job. The company he had been hired by- DSI- had a branch in his city like most others in the year 2190- and it looked like every other company building he'd ever seen.

Jared smiled, looking around the front office as he stepped inside and noting to secretary. She smiled curiously as he stepped up to her. "Hello, I'm here about the application. I was told to report for testing today, and to tell you that I'd need to be given the bootleg treatment?" 

She looked confused for a moment, then her expression brightened as though recognizing a joke. "Come on in, sir! Just head to the third floor and ask for the training room." She smiled, turning to focus on her computer again. He felt so valued as a human, Jeremy decided not to express his overwhelming elation in words. 

As he walked upstairs to an unknown embarrassment, he smiled in excitement. This was going to be awesome!

***********************************************************************************************

Turns out, the first three weeks were him going in and living as a fungus on various things. The first was a foot, the second was a persons head, and then... more natural, plant things that he grew on. The last torture was a pair of boots. He was relieved when he was told he'd adapted enough to actually get a decent body. 

Honestly, anything was better than a fungus... 

He hummed and started up his chair. It was a remarkably useful thing that connected to his brain. All he had to do was have a special chip implanted in various bones around his body- which took the first two weeks of this job- and then they connected to the nerves in and near his bones, then connected that to the chair. it allowed a wonderful, perfect virtual experience normally. However...

One section of the chair didn't make much sense to him, but that was the part that 'sent' him to other words. Supposedly, it connected to the brain and took all of your thoughts and consciousness, then pulled them from your brain and sent them hurtling into a different world where it built a body, shoved the consciousness inside, and kept track of it. 

This little fact made the whole experience far more trustworthy and had his total trust and support, totally not supported solely by his need of- and desire for- the cash this job would provide him. Definitely not. That would be totally.... facetious! Of course! That was correct. 

He smiled, relaxing in his chair and listening to the now-familiar start-up jingle. It was so calming and monotonous... He'd go insane if he had to hear much more of it. Shaking his head, he sighed and closed his eyes, letting the chair pull out his mind for diagnostics. 

- POV: 1st-

Diagnostics:

memory files- downloaded and saved

physical traits- average

mental traits- ... average

hair- plain and boring

face- better not talk about it

overall looks- nonexistent

compatibility- 99%