chapter 5

Song: Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers - Why Do Fools Fall in Love

"So where's the beer?"

I rolled my eyes. Classic Two-bit, asking questions about the alcohol seconds after showing up to the annual barbecue.

"What would you do if there's wasn't beer here, Two?" Douglas smirked at him from the lawn chair he was laying on.

"Well then I wouldn't have had a reason to show up or cancel the date I had today!" Two-bit exclaimed. I giggled, reaching into the cooler sitting on the ground next to me.

"Heads up, Two!" I called. He looked at me and I tossed the beer in his direction.

He caught it in his hands and immediately opened it, the beer overflowing and dripping over his hand. He could care less and he quickly brought the can up to his mouth, chugging it.

I saw Ponyboy across the yard in his cut off sweatshirt and smiled. I stood up from the ground and quietly ran behind him.

Sodapop was in the middle of talking with him and saw me approaching. He smirked subtly in a knowing way.

I jumped on Ponyboy's back and he let out a noise of surprise. He soon realized it was me and began laughing, his hands hooking under my thighs to support me on his back.

"Hey, Pony!" I exclaimed, my chin resting on his shoulder. He dropped me and I slipped off of his back.

"Thanks for the greeting, idiot." He smiled at me and I shrugged.

"Nice welcome, right?"

"Wonderful. Thanks for asking."

Before our conversation could continue the music that had been playing softly in the background on our radio had become louder. I turned and saw that my brother had turned it up all the way, a grin on his face.

I looked around my backyard and just took a moment to notice everything. The boys who were dating girls had brought them along, and everyone was talking and smiling.

It was nice.

Dallas was having a discussion with Steve, his arm wrapped around Sylvia's waist. Steve was standing with his girl, Evie. They all held beers with them, sipping them occasionally.

I looked over to Sodapop and saw that he was talking with Sandy. He looked so in love with her. He looked at her like she was his entire world.

Neither of them had beer with them. I knew Sodapop wasn't into drinking, but I had always seen Sandy drink at the barbecues when Sodapop brought her along.

I was snapped out of my observations when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned and locked eyes with Johnny.

I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face.

"Hey, Johnny Angel."

"Hey, darling."

I melted. Darling? I swear he was trying to kill me with the pet name.

"Darling? That's new."

"I won't call you that if you don't want me to-"

"No, no! I love it. It's sweet." I grabbed his hand in a reassuring way and he held my hand tightly.

We stayed silent for a moment just looking at each other. After a moment of silence, the song 'You Send Me' by Sam Cooke came on and I looked out to see the boys grabbing their girls and taking them out into the grass. They slowly started swaying together, hell even Dallas and Sylvia were slow dancing together.

Young love, right?

I watched in awe as they all swayed softly, looking into each other's eyes with a certain tenderness. It was as if the world around them had disappeared completely, all that mattered was the person they were dancing with. They exchanged lighthearted smiles and hushed words as they just danced.

I was in such a daze that I almost didn't notice Johnny's eyes on me the whole time I was looking at everyone else. I looked at him now.

"Do you wanna dance?" I didn't even fully comprehend what I was saying until I had said it.

"Yeah." He nodded.

I led him by the hand towards everyone else that was already dancing. We reached the grass and I hesitantly put my hands on his shoulders. He slowly put his hands around my waist and both of our faces were red by now. It was clear that we were both unfamiliar with this.

We just slowly swayed, getting more comfortable with ourselves. Soon it felt natural and I caught Johnny smiling to himself.

"I'm surprised Dally's dancing." I spoke up and he looked at me, laughing softly.

"Yeah, I never really saw him as the type. I guess love makes you do weird things."

We continued dancing in a comfortable silence, occasionally smiling at one another. The song soon came to an end, and a lot of people left to go back to sitting down or talking with others.

I, on the other hand, heard the next song and immediately felt the urge to dance.

It was the song 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love' by Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers. I loved the song.

I snapped my fingers to the song. I wasn't embarrassed to dance like a complete idiot here, I had known everyone here for years.

Johnny was sitting in the grass further away now, watching me with a confused but intrigued grin on his face.

I spotted Ponyboy and he had a knowing smirk on his face. He knew I loved this song.

"Get out here, Ponyboy!" I hurried over to him, lacing our fingers together. His eyes widened as I dragged him out into the middle of the yard with me.

"I don't know about this-"

"You'll love it, I promise." I began dancing with him at a quicker pace and he smiled, watching his feet to make sure he was doing it right.

"Don't overthink it, Ponyboy! Just live in the moment!" I exclaimed, spinning him. He laughed.

"Alright, I'll try!" He then spun me and I laughed in surprise.

Soon Sodapop and Sandy were also dancing beside us again. Steve and Evie shortly followed. Even Dallas and Sylvia were tapping their feet to the song while watching us.

Ponyboy had a huge grin on his face the whole time and I giggled, catching his attention.

"What?" He shot a playful glare at me and I shrugged.

"I told you this would be fun."