chapter 11

Song: The Beatles - Let It Be

"Does it still hurt bad, Johnny?" It had been a couple weeks since the incident with the socs and Johnny had completely checked out. He didn't come around as much and when he did he stayed dead silent.

Johnny had never been the talkative type, but he'd never been silent either.

He didn't make eye contact with me and instead kept fiddling with his hands.

"It's fine."

"Are you sure-"

"I said it's fine, okay?" He cut me off and I was surprised by the sudden attitude.

I knew he had a lot going on and it'd only make it worse if I snapped back. I simply nodded, stepping further away from Johnny.

"Sorry. I'll be in Ponyboy's room if you need anything." And with that, I made my way into my best friend's room.

I shut the door behind me and Ponyboy looked up at me from his book.

"Hey, how-"

"It's like he hates me or somethin. Every time I try to show that I care and want to help he just pushes me away!" I collapsed onto Ponyboy's bed next to him and he tried to hide the smile on his face.

"Don't take joy in my pain, Pony! I'm serious!" I whined, punching his shoulder. He chuckled.

"It's hard not to when you're acting like such a baby."

"Hey, screw you!"

"Easy, Connie! I'm kidding!" He exclaimed. I sighed.

"Listen, don't worry too much about Johnny. He's shaken up from what happened and on top of that he deals with lots of family problems. He's probably just overwhelmed. He's not too used to girls paying attention to him either. It must make him nervous that he's suddenly getting so much affection."

"Good point. Crushes are weird."

"Even weirder if you're Johnny Cade or Connie Nelson."

"I just... Need a hug after everything that happened. Maybe it's childish, but I-I just miss it. Douglas doesn't hug me much and my parents ain't around anymore to do it. It's just nice to-"

Ponyboy wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on my head. I felt an overwhelming amount of emotions wash over me, but instead of speaking I just gripped his shirt and leaned into him.

"You didn't have to do that, Ponyboy." I mumbled, feeling drowsy because of the comfortable position we were in. He chuckled.

"You're my best friend. You don't have to thank me for hugging you."

-

I woke up to the sun glaring in my eyes. I looked out the window to see that the sun was setting.

I could hear chatter in the living room and I knew Douglas and the gang were out there. It wasn't too late after all, and we'd probably ending up staying the night.

Ponyboy stirred slightly under me. Our legs were tangled together and my head was against his chest still. He had kept his arms around me the whole time.

"Good morning." Ponyboy's sarcastic, gravelly voice spoke close to my ear.

"Good evening." I corrected, smiling up at him.

"Same difference."

"I'm so tired."

"Me too." Ponyboy sighed. It was obvious neither of us wanted to get up. I think we both enjoyed the physical affection. We didn't get much of it anymore ever since the death of his parents and my parents.