Days One-Three

Tuesday-Thursday June 26th-28th, 2018

Matthew 6:25-27: ("Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?)

     So here we are, South Africa. Nine thousand miles away from our distant home of Nebraska. Our journey started on the evening of Tuesday June 26th. My bags had already been packed and ready to go for a week before our mission trip even began. Anticipation of what was to come helped drive me to triply make sure I had everything that I needed. As the clock in my dining room signaled that it was 4pm I heard a knock at my front door. As I opened the door I was greeted by my best friend, Lucas and his wife, Bethany. They had volunteered to drive me to our mission team send off in Omaha, Ne. As we packed up my suitcases one filled with my personal effects and the other filled with books and craft supplies for the children in Africa, I turned and looked back at my house. I said a silent good-bye to my home and entered my friend’s vehicle. On our way to Omaha Lucas turned on the radio and selected the song, “Africa” by Toto. Lucas then began singing to the song and began to tell me,

     “Nate, this song is like your theme song for the mission trip.”

     I chuckled, agreed and began singing the song with him. As we entered the city of Omaha we neared the team rendezvous, a restaurant named, “Cheddars.” As we pulled into the parking lot I began to see a few of my team member’s vehicles and knew they were already waiting inside for us. As we entered the restaurant the place was standing room only especially with our seventeen people group. As we began filling up our booths casual conversation filled the air. Myself, being a major introvert hid behind my menu and pondered what would be light enough to not want to pay for while on the plane but heavy enough that I wouldn’t be susceptible to snacking.

     As dinner had concluded we started talking about how we would make our way to the motel near Eppley Airfield. Lucas then mentioned that he had needed to be at work at 5 am the next morning, so Lucas and Bethany said their goodbyes and both planted a hug on me, got in their vehicle and departed. I was then in a predicament to find who would be willing to ferry me to the motel. Thankfully, Lucas and Bethany weren’t my only friends wanting to come see me off. My great friends, Bob and Shelley were happy to give me a ride there.

     Bob then drove us through the busy evening streets of Omaha and towards the La Quinta Inn. As we pulled into the parking lot I saw all of our group’s vehicles parked in the parking lot. I retrieved my bag from the back of their car and made my way towards the motel doors with Bob and Shelley in tow. We entered the lobby and I saw the main members of our team, Pastor Mike, Jon, Callie, Taylor, and Shannon with their families all gathered around them. As we pressed into the group I was met with smiles, handshakes, and questions asking how I’m feeling about the trip. In that moment, I’ll admit that I was terrified. To go so far away from the comfort of my home to serve others, but I was confident that what I’m doing is important and that God will use me as He sees fit while I’m there.

     Pastor Mike then spoke up and began to lay out how the evening would proceed and what we can expect in the morning. Mike then asked an elder of our church, Matt to pray over us. That God would protect us and that He would use us in Africa as He sees fit and in accordance to His will. That whatever hardships we would endure, that it would be to the glory of God. Finally above all else, that we would glorify Him in our thoughts, actions, and attitudes while He had us there.