Epilogue

Epilogue

(John 16:33: I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.)

     Upon returning I was so excited to share with anyone who would listen to my story about my mission trip to South Africa and all the things that I experienced. Before we had left however, Ruth was walking with Taylor, Callie and I to her apartment. She shared with us something that has stuck with me throughout my trip.

     “When you go back home, a lot of people will want to know what about what happen here especially your family and close friends. Regardless, I want to prepare you to know that not everyone in the church will care about what happened here, because it didn’t affect them. That is one thing that you will have to prepare your hearts for before you return home to your lives.”

     Ruth was correct on all points. Upon my return there were quite a few people that wanted to know about what happen, what we experienced, and how God had grown us. Sadly there were others that couldn’t care less and that would roll their eyes when I began to mention our time there. At first I was pretty steamed at the fact that this happened. Why weren’t they excited? Such amazing things happened there! Why don’t they care!? These things I had asked God repeatedly in my prayer time but He taught me the error of my thoughts and attitude from the following verse:

     Matthew 6:1-4: “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

     Nearly a year now since Africa, many things have changed in our team member's lives, some are still the same.

     Ruth has since gotten married to a wonderful godly man and has moved back to the States to live her new life with her new husband

     Taylor now works with children in foster care in a full time position and while her heart longs for Oregon she is serving faithfully where God has her.

     Shannon is now engaged and will soon be married to an amazing husband and continues being faithful in her job as a teacher.

     Callie has moved out of Columbus to study graphic design at a local college in Nebraska.

     Mike continues to serve faithfully at our local church and is slowly learning how to endure hugs and other physical signs of affection.

     Jon still serves faithfully at our church, has welcomed a third girl to his family, and remains to be one of the most awesome godly men I know.

     Ryan is continuing his studies in California in seminary. Hopefully one day we will be able to see him preach at our church!

     As for me, I've been recently praying, researching, and discovering what it would take to become a full time missionary. One thing that God has shown me in this week is I serve Him best when I’m able to care for children and I would love to pursue that, possibly back in South Africa.

     Finally, I would ask you as the reader to pray for all of these amazing people that I’ve mentioned in this book. That God would continue His amazing work in these saints, and that it would continue to bring Him the glory that He deserves for being the great God that He has always been!