Part 12

Kakashi was leaning against the wooden fence of a small bridge, his arms crossed over his chest. Beside him was standing Asuma with his elbows resting over the fence.

"What? Are you serious?" Asuma looked at his masked friend with his eyes wide in shock.

"Of course, I am," Kakashi responded in a bored tone.

"Man.. This time she crossed the line." Asuma sighed, as he removed his elbows from the fence and completely turned toward Kakashi.

"I've told her a billion times that I'm not interested, but she's not understanding." Kakashi clenched his jaw, now putting his hands in the trousers pockets.

Asuma eyed his friend carefully for a few moments before speaking up again. "Let's forget this Anko for a moment. What about Asami?" 

"What about her?" Kakashi raised his brow.

"Do you like her? I mean.. have feelings for her?" Asuma asked, taking out a lighter for his cigarette.

"What kind of question is that?" Kakashi averted his gaze.

"Don't act so clueless. I've know this well since we were kids and not to mention the change in your behaviour when Iruka is around her." Asuma teased, smirking

"I don't know.." Kakashi heaved a deep sigh.

"Hahaha. I'll take it as a 'yes' then." Asuma laughed, patting Kakashi's back who remained silent in return. 

Kakashi stared up at the sky, an image of the mentioned female flashing before his eyes. Did he really have feelings for her?

He loved spending time with her. He didn't want her to be with someone else. He couldn't bear the idea of someone else touching her. That much he knew.

A smile made its way to his masked lips.

"I think.."

Meanwhile 

Asami and Kurenai were sitting on the living room sofa with their cups of tea in their hands.

"So.." Kurenai started, eyeing her with concern.

"Don't worry, Kurenai. I'm alright." Asami smiled and stared down at the cup in her hands. "I don't know what happened to me last night. I just couldn't control myself, but now, I've thought about it. I was overreacting. I shouldn't feel like that. You know.. we weren't together. I mean, we weren't even dating. It's his life. He's complete right to spend his life the way he wants, and with the person he wants. I can't let something like that ruin our friendship. I was so stupid to react like that." She ended her speech with a nervous giggle.

"But-" Kurenai tried to say.

"I'm over it, Kurenai," Asami cut her off, and flashed her a big smile.

"Oh.. Asami." Kurenai just stared at her friend who was trying her best to hide her broken heart and act fine.

"I got extra excited about my feelings yesterday. Now when I think about it carefully, I don't think I actually love him," Asami whispered, forcing the words out of her mouth.