Part 22

"I love you," Kakashi stated and didn't hesitate to plant a tender kiss on Asami's lips.

He wanted everyone to know and see that she was his and only his, so everyone would take his hand off her. He was tired of everyone interfering in their relationship. He wasn't afraid of showing everyone how much he loved her.

Asami was glad as much as she was surprised by his sudden action. She was happy that he was willing to show everyone that they were together. 

She just stood there, blushing madly while Anko, Iruka and Gai stared at them dumbfounded with their mouths open but unable to say a word.

*cough cough*

A coughing sound caused Kakashi to pull away. They all turned to look at the source of the coughing sound and this time it was the third Hokage standing in the doorway. They jounins immediately straightened up.

"He saw everything?" Asami thought anxiously, as she silently gulped.

The look on his face was really serious. He wasn't looking pleased at all. He silently walked over to his chair and sat on it. He eyed the shinobis in front of him with a stern look on his face. They all had frightened expressions on their faces.

"Asami and Kakashi .. Is there something you'd like to tell me?" he asked seriously, as he put his pipe into his mouth.

"I-I'm sorry, Lord Hokage," Asami apologized. "It's just--" She couldn't complete her sentence when the look on the old man's face changed.

"Hahaha," the Hokage let out a laugh. Everyone just stared at him as if he had grown two heads.

"Haha.. I see," he trailed off, finally getting control over his deep gruff laughter.

"We're sorry, Lord Hokage." Kakashi bowed respectfully.

"No no. There's no need to be sorry. In fact it was quite a fun watching you all." The Hokage chuckled, surprising everyone even more.

Was it really the third Hokage or was he an imposter? They all wondered.

"So you two are really together. Right?" he asked again.

"Uh.. Y-Yes." Kakashi smiled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.

The Hokage smiled at the two love birds then his gaze went to the other three persons present in the room. Gai looked disappointed. He had streams of tears flowing out of his eyes. Iruka was hurt, but seemed to have accepted it. Anko was eyeing Asami enviously with a hint of hatred in her eyes. It didn't take time for the Hokage to grasp the situation completely.

"I see the tension going on here." The Hokage sighed. "Are you two serious about your relationship?" he then asked, looking at Asami and Kakashi. It confused them why would the Hokage be interested in their relationship of all the things?!

Asami and Kakashi looked at each other. They really loved each other and of course were serious too. They both shifted their gaze back to the Hokage and nodded confidently.

"Very well then. I guess this is the time," the Hokage smiled.

"Time for what? You came up with a strategy for Orochimaru?" Asami asked.

"Well, Orochimaru is going to take time to make his next move .. and there is another responsibility I was entrusted with long ago, and I think this'd be the best time to fulfil it," the Hokage explained.

"What kind of responsibility?" Asami asked.

The Hokage eyed Asami for a moment before speaking up again.

"You remember your clan?"