Part 26

"Never mind."

"Well .. I'll be get going then." Kakashi said, pulling up his mask. "I need to stay close to Sasuke. We won't be able to see each other much for a while."

"It's Okay. Just be careful." Asami smiled softly.

"You too. See ya." After giving her a last peck on her lips, he poofed away.

While Asami continued her way to her apartment, she couldn't help but think about what she had felt earlier. The sensation had lasted for a second only. She had felt somehow familiar chakra traces, but she couldn't remember to whom they belonged. Was someone stalking them? Or was it someone working for Orochimaru? Then again, may be she was just tired. But she couldn't ignore it.

Time Skip

It was Saturday night. The jounins were going out just as they had planned. Almost two days had passed, and Asami hadn't seen Kakashi even for once, because he was busy with Sasuke. So, she was happy as she was going to see him soon.

Asmai, Kurenai and Yugao were on their way to the restaurant. Kakashi and Asuma were going to join them there, but Hayate wasn't. He was called by the Hokage.

Asami and Kurenai were wearing their usual outfits while Yugao had changed into something different from her anbu uniform.

"You two look cute together," Asami said to Yugao with a glint of mischief in her green orbs.

"W-What are you talking about?" Yugao stuttered, making Asami giggle at her expressions.

"I'm talking about Hayate." She winked at her. "You two make a perfect couple."

"Really?" Yugao asked shyly.

"Ahan." Asami nodded, smiling brightly.

"Thanks." Yugao smiled back, feeling happy at the compliment by her senior.

"I can't wait to see what your kids will look like," Asami teased, causing Yugao to turn completely red. Kurenai burst into laughter.

"The same goes for you and Asuma, Kurenai." Asami smirked, making a crimson blush to rise on Kurenai's face.

Kurenai was about to say something but stopped when she realized they had reached the restaurant. Kakashi and Asuma were standing outside, waiting for the females.

Sparkle appeared in Asami's eyes as soon as she saw Kakashi, and Kakashi was no different. They all entered the restaurant together, took the round table at the corner of the hall and ordered food. 

They were talking and laughing, which reminded Asami of their previous get-together. But this time there was Yugao with them in place of Iruka. Asami, in her heart, kind of felt bad for Iruka. He loved her and promised to keep her happy, but she didn't love him .. she couldn't. Her heart and now she belonged to someone else. She still thought of him as a good friend. That's why the thought of him being hurt by her was bothersome for her.

She was recalling that day when someone snapped their fingers in front of her face, grabbing her attention. She blinked and looked at the person. It was Kakashi. He was staring at her lovingly, smiling beneath his mask, his cheek resting on the palm of his gloved hand and elbow on the table. He raised his visible brow, asking her what she was thinking. She smiled and shook her head, telling him that it wasn't anything important.

"Ahem." Kurenai faked a cough. "We came here together. It's not your date. Give us some attention too. Leave these gestures for your time behind the closed doors," she teased, smirking.

Asami blushed. Kurenai was paying back to Asami for her teasings during the way to restaurant. 'Time behind the closed door', she understood well what Kureani meant by that. She hadn't thought of it ever before. But now when Kurenai had mentioned it, she couldn't stop her mind from imagining it. She and Kakashi? Her blush grew darker and darker, as she stared into space with wide eyes.

Kakashi was still watching her in the same position. He smirked under his mask, seeing her expressions and understanding what exactly was going in her mind. His smirk grew bigger, as he leaned in closer to her ear.

"There there, stop picturing it already. We'll have our time, naughty girl," he whispered in her ear, causing her to turn completely red.

"I-I wasn't t-thinking that okay?" she stuttered, heat radiating from her crimson face.

"Now, you're making it obvious," he sniggered, making her huff in response.

Meanwhile, their food arrived and they started eating it. During the whole time Asami was still couldn't stop her mind from thinking about that.

"We'll have our time." 

Kakashi's words echoed in her mind. Did that mean.. he wanted? He always read such kind of books. A shiver ran down her spine. She shook her head, trying to get these dirty thoughts out of her mind. Blush never left her cheeks. Her these expressions were amusing for Kakashi. He was enjoying it.

After finishing their dinner and paying the bill, they all walked out of the restaurant. They decided to take a walk around the village. The weather was cool and pleasant. Kurenai was clinging to Asuma's arm. Still blushing Asami was walking between Kakashi and Yugao, so that Yugao wouldn't feel alone or left out.

Damn that Kurenai for raising that topic. Asami's mind was completely occupied, and thanks to Kakashi who wasn't leaving any chance to tease her. He was using her reaction for his own amusement.

"Silly girl, this part will come when it's ready," he whispered in her ear for the hundredth time.

"Stop it, Kakashi," she warned, as a vein poped up on her forehead. That was certainly the effect of the books he used to read. "Or I'll burn your books."

Yugao let out a laugh. Asami turned her head to look at her. Was she listening to them? Suddenly an anbu appeared in front of them, causing them all to stop.

"I've a news," he stated.

The atmosphere was tense, and it was quite obvious that the news wasn't a good one.

"Hayate Gekko was killed in action."

The news hit more like a bomb. Asami's head immediately turned to look at Yugao. Her expressions were unreadable. It was as if she were still struggling to perceive what she had just heard.

"No.." was all what left her trembling lips.

*****

Hayate's dead body was lying on a stretcher in a hospital room. Yugao was standing close to him while Asami, Kakashi and the Hokage were standing a little behind her.

Yugao stared at her lover's lifeless body for several minutes. With a lot of effort, she reluctantly raised her hand and touched his face with her trembling fingers. He was cold.

"Hayate .. wake up .." she said under her breath, as she now grabbed his shoulders. "Open your eyes. Are you listening? Just end this. It's not funny," she pleaded again with her voice raised. A part of her was hoping that he would wake up any moment and apologize to her for this prank. But she didn't get any response. 

Though anbus were not allowed to show emotions but at times like these, there shouldn't be any rules or regulations.

Yugao let go of his shoulders, as she realized it was fruitless. He wasn't going to wake up. He was gone. She wouldn't be able to do swords practice with him anymore. She wouldn't be able to feel protected in his arms ever again. Her whole body was shaking, as she was trying to control her emotions. But she couldn't hold it and broke down. Tears streamed down her face. "Why?.." she silently sobbed in her hands.

Asami watched her friend with concern. Her now teary eyes went from Yugao to Hayate's body. After lingering there for a moment her eyes travelled to the silver haired man beside her, then to Yugao and then to her feet. That didn't get unnoticed by Kakashi.

"What if.." she couldn't dare to complete the sentence even in her mind.

She bit her bottom lip, pushed these unwanted thoughts out of her mind and stepped closer to Yugao to comfort her.

A/N:
Yo! It's been a while. Here was the next chapter (after so long -. -)
Anyways, hope you enjoyed!