Chapter 5

The garden looks absolutely beautiful today from the large window. It reaches from the ceiling to the floor, giving an excellent view of the royal garden. I remember coming here when I was young, wishing that I could go and explore the garden below. This window was my sanctuary, somewhere I could come when I had a bad day. It brings me peace. Though, I haven't come to sit here in a very long time. I've been too busy, with work piling up more and more each day. I scrub the window that's much larger than my tiny room, making sure to not leave streaks. The queen hates those. I still day dream about going to explore the flower garden as I sing a song I've sang every since I was a child. But the queen will end me if she sees that I'm slacking off, again. Especially after yesterday's events.

I finish cleaning the window earlier than usual so I might as well visit Vicky and see if she needs any help in the kitchen. I love helping her in any way I can. Plus, she always finds a way to make my day brighter. As I get to the swinging door, I hear people having a joyful conversation. It's probably one of the other maids. They all love talking to Vicky. Why wouldn't they? Positivity radiates off of her with her sweet voice and can-do attitude. Though, they rarely ever say two words to me. Only Cara and Alice do.

"Vicky! I finished early so I was thinking I could-" I stop mid-sentence, startled by the sight of the person she's talking to.

Prince Fredrick.

He's leaning on the tiled island whilst in conversation with Vicky. He turns with his hair moving at his sudden motion and stops as well, raising his eyebrows in surprise.

"Uh.. sorry. I didn't mean to, uh, interrupt." What am I supposed to say? Why are you in your own kitchen talking to your chef?

"Oh, you're not disturbing us, dear! Come in!" Why does she sound more cheery than normal? I enter the kitchen, refraining from looking at the prince. It is way too easy to get lost in his strong, green eyes.

"Here. Can you two mix these for me?" She gives us two bowls full of different substances. I grab a large spoon and begin mixing. Why is he here?

"Is your hand feeling better?" Prince Fredrick suddenly asks me.

"Uh, yeah.." Is all I can get out of my mouth. I look down and notice that I'm mixing so hard that the contents are now spilling out.

"Alright honey, I think you're done." Vicky quickly takes the bowls away from me and the Prince. Goodness Lily, you're an adult! Act like it!

"Well, I need to get back to work so I'll see you later tonight." I give Vicky a small tight hug, then wave at the prince, not daring to speak to him.

"I need to leave too. I have a few things I need to get done," Prince Fredrick states, getting up from the backless bar stool.

"Bye sweetie! It was lovely talking to you!" Vicky calls as I quickly rush out the door, only to be followed by the Prince. He then falls into step with me. What is he up to?

"Where are you headed?" Why is he asking me such a question? And why would he care?

"I'm going to fold the queen's clothes."

"By yourself?" I nod in response. "What a coincidence! I'm going that way as well. Do you mind if I walk with you?"

"Um, I guess not?" Why did I say yes? Am I in the right state of mind?

"Do you always work alone?" Yes, either because no one is allowed to help me, or no one cares. Cara and Alice have no idea about how much work I actually have, even if Cara knows about the abuse.

"Not always. I occasionally get help from the other maids." It hurt to lie to him, but I lied because I don't want to ruin his bubble gum image of his mother.