Chapter 11

Here I am, laying in the Prince's bed, with the future heir to the throne inches away from me. It feels as if my heart's going 1,000 beats per minute while I lay stiff on my side. Maybe I didn't think this through. I don't feel or hear anything so maybe he fell asleep. That is, until I feel a shift in the bed. My back is facing him so I'm not sure which way he's facing, or why there was movement at all. I bury my face in my brown shawl out of nervousness as I feel the blood pumping faster by the second. I feel a slight tap on my shoulder, which I respond to by turning around. Sure enough, Fredrick is fully awake.

"Did I wake you?" He whispers. I shake my head no, fully facing him now. The moon brightens up the dark room, allowing me to see his face. His dominant, yet soft, green eyes look curiously at me. He's wearing a different smile than earlier today, with it being full of nervousness and worry. Now he has, what appears to be, a happy smile. Curiosity takes over his face, almost like he's a three old asking a question every five minutes. His blue long sleeved shirt compliments his messy blonde hair. His hands are placed under his pillow, allowing his head to be propped up.

"Why do you always wear that?" He suddenly asks, startling me.

"My shawl?"

"Yes."

I wear it for multiple reasons. One is to hide my odd face and hideous hair. "I wear it because I... get cold."

"It's not cold now. You can take it off if it's bothering you."

"I like having it on," I hated having my shawl on when I was younger. Vicky would always have to explain that Queen Madia would be angry with me if she caught me without it on. Thankfully, I've gotten used to it. That one day she saw me without it was enough to scar me.

"I can see that," he chuckles. I give him a small smile, slightly poking my head out of the shawl. He looks mesmerized by something as he's searching my eyes once again. Is this just a thing he does? "Lily, why do you hide?" Wow, he's the first person who's noticed.

"What do you mean?"

"You usually hide your face in that shawl. It's as if it protects you from something." I don't reply to his accusation, because it's true. It's better for people to think I'm invisible, than for them to know me and ridicule me. It protects me from pain.

"Well, I don't think you should hide your face all the time." Oh, if only I could Fredrick. "I'm serious, Lily!" He laughs, noticing that I've already blocked the idea.

"You have such a kind heart. You should share it!" A bright blush settles itself on my already red cheeks. The darkness of the room spares me the embarrassment, as I am in the darker part of the bed.

"I don't have a 'kind heart'. You are the one that's kind, Fredrick."

"Yes you do. I can see it..."

That same foreign feeling fills my chest, only to be rejected by my stubbornness. His eyes start to became like a butterflies wings, slowly closing and opening. I'm compelled to get closer to him. To hug him and never let go, but I quickly stop my brain from thinking such insane thoughts. Where did that come from? I'm usually a very modest and respectful person, so the fact I even thought that confuses me even more.

My eyes refuse to shut. Probably due to the almost heart attack he gave me. Without thinking, I do the one thing that will calm me. The thing that's gotten me through this life alive. With my eyes shut, I start to softly sing myself to sleep.

Authors Note:

Hey Lovelies! I hope y'all liked this update! I LOVED writing it!! I love writing each and every chapter, but this one was especially fun! I'll see you guys next week! God bless!

Remember that you are lovely, and to always show it!

~Love