Chapter 21

Alice rushes the Prince and I out the back door, giving the both of us a farewell hug before bolting to the door to welcome Cara inside.

"Why are we in such a rush to leave?" Fredrick asks as he heavily pants from our running.

How do I tell him that I need to keep him a secret as much as possible? If the Queen were to ever find out, she would hurt every person who knows anything about our... friendship.

Before I get a chance to answer his question, I get pulled into a dance of the towns people. I aimlessly twist and turn between them as I hear the sounds of the banjos and flutes coming together in a danceful harmony.

"Lily!"

Fredrick calls, trying to reach me through the swarm of dancing people.

Dancing has never been my forte, nor will it ever be. Unless I get dragged into it, apparantly.

Fredrick clasps my hand into his and instead of pulling me out, he pulls me into an energetic sway. He twirls me with his hand softly holding mine.

"Fredrick! I don't know how to dance!" I say in a panic.

"You don't have to!" He then pulls me close and softly whispers, "Just have fun,"

He gives me bright smile before carefully gripping my waist. My right hand holds his, while my left rests on his arm. We slow down our pace as the music softens. Our eyes never waver from each other as we twirl, with the stars in his eyes becoming brighter with every turn. There's a sense of joy glazing them as he once again looks longingly at me.

As the melody comes to an end, he slowly dips me. My hands hold tight to his neck and shoulders while his hands have a soft grip on my waist, allowing him to hold my weight.

"Kiss her!!" A man from the crowd yells out.

We look around to see that the mammoth crowd made a small circle while we were dancing. His face turns a bright red as my own does the same. The people then start to chant for the kiss while they eagerly wait, pumping their fists in the air.

He suddenly tilts his head, which I respond with tilting my own. His hand holds my waist tighter as his other holds my face. He then plants a small kiss... on my cheek. Though it only lasted a second, I could feel how soft they are against my skin. His hold then softens once more, then helps me to stand.

My heart's racing at a thousand miles per hour with my sweaty palms to match. Claps echo through the town as soon as we compose ourselves. The same man whistles at our little scene, which makes Fredrick blush even harder.

He rushes me out of there, returning to the back of the dark castle. We stand there awkwardly for a moment, both of us not knowing what to say or do about the interesting events that happened tonight.

"So, tonight was-"

"I'm so sorry, Lily!" He bursts out.

"Sorry for what?"

"I should've asked you before I did that! I don't know what came over me! I wasn't thinking straight! Maybe it was because-"

"Fredrick!" I say, cutting him off from his rambling. "It's okay"

I give him a reassuring smile, which he responds with a small one. We walk to the back door, which marks the end of our night.

"Thank you, Lily. For everything." He expresses genuinely.

"You're welcome, Fredrick. It's the least I can do."

As I remember the things this man has done for me, I stop cold. My chores! I had completely forgotten about them!

"What's wrong?" He worries, furrowing his eyebrows.

"The Queen gave me chores to do. And if I don't finish them by the time she gets back, she'll get extremely angry with me!"

"Why on earth would she make you do that past working hours? Especially, by yourself!"

I give him the silent treatment, my mouth unable to form words.

"Lily, what's going on?"

I look up his tall figure, meeting a pair of enraged green eyes. Why is he so angry?

"Fredrick, I can't tell you." I utter.

"What do you mean you can't tell-"

"Look, I need to go. I need to at least start on something."

I speed walk through the door, only to be followed by a stubborn prince.

"You're not doing it alone." He says assertively.

"I can't ask you to help me!"

"Then don't."

Despite my effort and pleads to stop him, he continues to follow me. We mopped the lobby, cleaned her bathroom, and replaced Lady Adora's linens. And we did this in the nick of time, as the Queen was just arriving. I thank Fredrick a million times before he bolts to his room. If his mother were to find him awake, she'd be suspicious.

I drag myself to my room, only to be stopped by a mischievous looking Mona. Why is she still here?

"Hello, maid."

"Mona, I really don't feel like dealing with you right now."

"Oh, of course! You're probably exhausted after your little adventure with the Prince. Not to mention that he helped you with your chores, which is completely against your protocol."

The blood drains from my face, probably reaching my toes. How on earth did she find out?!

"I stumbled across the both of you when you walked in. Now, I have a proposition for you. You do exactly what I say, without mouthing off, or else I will tell Queen Madia. And I don't think you want that, do you?"

I stand there, stunned by this unfolding scene.

"Fine."

I give into her black mail, feeling like a complete push over.

"Excellent! Now kiss my feet before you leave."

I groan internally as I kneel in front of her. There are pieces of dirt and water all over her shoes, which sends me into an internal puke fest.

"You're so pathetic." She says in disgust.

I place a lingering kiss until Mona says to stop, grateful that it's finally over. I stand to my feet, shame strongly gripping me in its clutches.

"You can leave now, you waste of space."

I run into my room, slamming the door in complete frustration. Why must life be so cruel?! Tonight was the best night of my life, and it got instantly ruined by a good for nothing jerk that has nothing better to do than torture me. I guess I have to face the realities of life.

I will always be nothing... but a maid.