Chapter 7

I stand in the middle of the Prince's neat bedroom, watching him rush around in a panic. He locks the door, then opens his closet in search of some clothes for me. I hold tight to his warm jacket that I've enveloped myself in, the faint smell of mint and lemons radiating off of it. The Prince walks up to me and hands me an over-sized sweater that I never knew a royal could own. It looks like the sweaters I see in the market. I graciously take it and he leads me into his bathroom.

I hesitate to go in. I can't just walk into the Prince's bathroom! I stand there, looking at the Prince, then back at the bathroom. "Go ahead," he says with a reassuring smile.

"My Prince, I cannot invade your personal space." And I don't want to fill it with the filth that is me.

"You're not at all, I insist." He waves his hand towards the bathroom.

I give him an unsure expression as I cautiously walk in and shut the door behind me. I've been in here many times before, but only to clean. It feels strange to come here without the intent of scrubbing the bathtub or anything of the such.

I reluctantly take off the dark blue jacket and examine myself in the gold bordered mirror. I run my fingers over the scars on my body. Goodness, it's been a while since I've checked myself. I've gotten so used to the pain, that I don't even check anymore. I take off my shawl and squeeze out the remaining water into the drain, as I do the same with my hair. I slip on the brown sweater that has the same aroma as the jacket. The sleeves are longer than my small arms, while the sweater reaches about my mid thigh. I put my shawl back on and walk out of the bathroom with his jacket hanging on my arm.

I find him waiting by his dresser, his hands behind his back. His blank face brightens into a soft smile the moment he sees me. He looks at his sweater on me as his eyes trail down. What is that on his cheeks... a tint of pink? He immediately looks into my eyes. His cheeks are becoming a shade brighter with every awkward second that passes by. "Uh, here you go." I say, giving him his jacket.

"Keep it, I have enough jackets," He chuckles as he gestures for me to keep it.

"Prince Fredrick, I can't just keep it. It's yours," I state the obvious.

"It's alright Lily, keep it!" He insists.

I give in and hold it tight to my heart. I will protect this jacket with my life.

We stand there in awkward silence. He looks at me intently, then briefly looks away, only to look at me again. His expression turns serious as he walks closer to me. "Lily..." Oh no, here we go. "Why were you walking around, um, naked?" He rubs the back of his neck at the strange question. I stay silent. He steps closer, which only leaves five feet between us. Hurry, Lily! Come up with something! Anything!

"A dog took my dress!" Except that.

"A.. dog?" he asks. I nod briskly, trying my best to not run away in humiliation.

"We have a dog?" He questions.

"It... appears so." Gosh, this is pathetic.

"You know, Miss Lily, you probably shouldn't lie to a prince." He gives me a small smirk as he gets too close for comfort. I can immediately sense the scent of mint and lemon grace my nostrils. His smirk disappears, and his serious expression comes back.

"Did someone... hurt you?" He then scans my body to check for any indication of violence.

"Uh, no. Nobody hurt me," Well, at the moment anyway.

"Then what happened?" He asks, as he gently grabs my arm, which startles me. I look up at him, as he's a bit taller than I am. Worry seeps through his forest green eyes, and I at once am lost in them. Why is he so worried about a lower life form such as myself? He lets my arm go,

"I'm sorry for pressuring you. You can tell me if you choose to. I just got worried when I saw you. I don't want anyone working for my family to be in any danger or dismay. Especially you,"

The last part, he whispered more to himself, but I faintly heard it. I feel a lump forming in the back of my throat. Someone who cares for my well being? Is that even possible? The only person I've ever had that cared was Vicky. But, even she doesn't really do anything. Well, she would if she could. "Prince Fredrick, I need to get back to work before I get in trouble." I say politely, playing with the hem of the large sweater sleeve. My voice cracks with every word, as I refrain from shedding a tear. His eyes flicker to my hand, then back to my face.

"Oh, of course! I got someone to get you a new work dress."

"I wear something.. different, than the other maids. I can go get it, it's no problem!" I wear a lower quality dress that feels more like sandpaper than linens. For a moment, disappointment flashes on his face, then turns into that sweet smile.

"Oh, well, alright. I'll let you get back to work then." He opens his door, allowing me to leave. As I walk away I hear,

"And Lily,"

"Yes?"

His smile gets wider as his sentence progresses. "You don't have to call me Prince Fredrick. Fredrick is fine," Then he winks at me for the second time since I've met him. I chuckle at his sentence. 

"Okay," I answer, then proceed to walk off, my cheeks flaming.

Once I get my emergency dress on, I finish my work, which lasted from mid day to late in the evening. But today's been different. I've been smiling all day... and I can't seem to stop. I'm not completely sure why.

I wipe off my forehead sweat with my dirty hand. I've been cleaning the floor for three hours now. Singing my song, I finish the rest of the tiled floor. "Finally, I'm done." I whisper, admiring my work. The marbled floor that lies across the front entryway is shining with the gloss I put on it. I get up and drag myself back to my room. I walk down the wooden steps, only to be met by Vicky, who apparently was waiting for my arrival. 

"Vicky?" I question, a bit worried as to why she's waiting for me.

"Hi Lily! How was your day?"

"Fine... and yours?"

"It's been... interesting, to say the least." She says, her eyes indicating that she knows something I don't.

"So, when did you become such good friends with the Prince?"

Author's Note:

Hello Lovelies! I hope you all are enjoying the story so far! I had a lot of fun writing it! If you enjoyed it, don't be shy to comment and vote! I love hearing from y'all!

As always, remember that you are lovely and to let it shine wherever you go!

~Love