Chapter 15

My eyes flutter open to the sound of thunder cracking through the air. I immediately jump up and grab my pillow and blanket, for it's not safe to stay outside anymore. I drop off the linens and rush to my favorite window. The clouds are as dark as night, as the sun is now coming up. It's pouring rain that not even the best of eyesight can see through. The flowers in the garden are swimming in puddles, with the trees trying their hardest to shield them from above .

Though it's early, I might as well start my work for the day. The second I walk away from the window, in comes another maid with a pile of white linens in her arms. That's strange, everyone is usually asleep at this hour. "Um, miss, do you need help?" I ask as I try to lighten the load for her.

"No, I'm fine, thank you." With that, she scurries away. She sounded stressed, like there was something going on. If there wasn't, then why would she be here at the crack of dawn?

I make my way to the kitchen, where I find multiple chefs cooking with Vicky.

"Good morning, Lily! I left your food in your room!" She says as she whisks some white liquid in a bowl.

"Um, okay?" I question, stepping out of the crowded kitchen. When I walk out, there are many other maids shuffling around to get their work done. I'm then greeted by a less than joyous voice.

"MAAIID!!"

The moment I hear her, she's already five steps behind me! Where did she come from?! I immediately get on my knee, as a sign of respect. "Maid, make sure that the lobby shines, and go get some more cheese. Your stupid self didn't get enough yesterday." She wants me to go into the pouring rain without anything to cover myself with? "I don't think you heard me... I COMMAND YOU TO DO AS I SAY IN THE MOMENT I TELL YOU TO DO IT!" That jolts me to get up and bolt out the wooden door.

The rain harshly welcomes me in it's cold drops as I already feel myself soaking. No one is in sight, as the rain is too heavy for anyone to go out. I eventually make it to Mincy and Jack's house, quickly knocking on their door. I hear someone unlocking the door, then slowly open it, unveiling an exhausted Mincy in her cuddly purple robe.

"Lily? Why are you running through this freezing rain at this unholy hour?" She asks as she yawns from how early it is.

"I didn't get enough cheese." I weakly say, shivering under my soaking dress.

"You poor thing. Come on in, sweetie," She welcomes, moving aside to allow me to squeeze in.

"Oh, I can't. I will leave puddles and-"

"Nonsense, get in here!" She grabs my wrist and drags me inside the warm cottage. "I'll wake up Jack so that he can get you your dairy." She then leaves me standing in the middle of the living room to wait.

I refuse to sit on her couch, so I decide to seat myself on the slick hardwood. I look at my feet to see dirt all over them. My sandals don't entirely cover my foot, so it feels like I have nothing on. Running through muddy puddles does not feel good during, nor does it feel good after. Mincy comes back with a tired looking Jack as he hands me a large bag full of cheeses.

"Here you go, honey." He says with a tired smile on his face.

"Thank you so much! You guys are amazing!" I express.

"You're welcome, little Lily," Jack says, giving me a playful wink.

"Take this," Mincy gives me a small white umbrella with a light wooden handle for comfort. Before I can even refuse, she continues and says "I'm not taking it back, no matter how much you insist." I give her and Jack a thankful smile.

After the exchange, I race back home. Though I have this umbrella, the water still seeps into my sandals. I'm running so fast that the rain smacks my face painfully, but at least I'm drier than earlier. I run into the kitchen to drop off the cheese, and get a head start on cleaning the lobby. Once I finished, the white marbled floors and steps looked like I just poured sparkles on top of them because it's so shiny. Just the way Queen Madia likes it. Though there have been multiple maids speeding through, I got it done. The water from my dress is almost dry now, as it's just a little damp. My shawl and thick hair are still soaked, however.

As I dust the last of the lobby, a certain someone pops into my mind. A face of pure sweetness and the eyes of a king. Then the realization hits me... Fredrick is coming back today! I lamely drop my feather duster as I've startled myself with my sudden thought. How could I have forgotten? I guess with my chores and the rain, it had completely slipped my mind. It all makes sense now on why there are so many maids everywhere.

Now I have a big smile on my face, as I am determined to make sure everything is clean for his arrival. I look at the clock to see that it's late morning, which means he should be getting here any minute! Just as I start to run off, a guard bursts through the doors of the lobby. "Prince Fredrick is here! The Prince has come home!" The guard cries, echoing through the halls of the castle. The expression of pure shock and excitement takes over my face. The Queen appears not a moment later, as she scurries outside to meet her son. I start to make my way to the window when the guard stops me. "Miss, you stay here and welcome the guests." Guests? I stay in place, not moving from my spot. I attempt to fix my shawl, which doesn't work very well since it's still moist.

The wooden carriage comes into view as it stops in front of the door. Multiple guards come to the entrance and hold up large umbrellas for a clean and dry path. The horseman opens the door for the prince to get out, but Fredrick is not the one to step onto the bricked driveway. Instead, a woman with a large pink dress exits the carriage. Her caked face looks annoyed as she sashays her way inside. She has her red curly hair perfectly pinned up, with a pink sash to match her extravagantly large pink and white dress. Fredrick follows close behind her, with a less than pleasant look on his face. He's wearing a very nice black suit, which sends a rush of blood to my cheeks. Lastly, a tall, plump man follows. He looks very familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Wait, is he the man from the market? After I get a good look at his face, it confirms that he is most certainly the man that tried to hurt little Ellie. The man has on a lot of jewelry like yesterday, with his black and white striped suit that compliments his interesting taste in style. They all finally make it inside, with only their shoes a little damp.

Many maids line up on both sides of me, with Mona leading them. She stands in front of all of us, as if she's better than the Queen herself.

"What a lovely abode, you have!" The woman says with a very high pitched voice as she hugs the Queen and King. "Aw, Freddy! My shoes are ruined!" Freddy?...

"I'm sorry my dear, we will buy you some new shoes!" Fredrick says kindly. Why does he seem so uncomfortable?

"Ah, hello Lady Adora!" The King greets. "It is so lovely to see you again! How was the journey?"

"Fine, I suppose. It was a tiring hour, but Fredrick made it all better."

With a larger than normal smile on her face, she locks her arm with his. He gives another perfect smile, which is not perfect at all, as it is not true. I'm not sure how I know such personal information, but I just have this gut feeling.

"Aw, they already look like a married couple!" The Queen comments.

Married??

Authors Note:

Hello Lovelies! I hope you guys liked this chapter! I worked really hard on it. If you enjoyed the chapter, don't be shy to let me know what you liked about it! I'll see y'all next week!

Remember that you are lovely, and to always show it!

~Love