Chapter 7:The Suspicion

When things didn't make sense, what should a person do? I preferred being alone then. After listening about Deceptors, I politely excused myself. I could see concern in their eyes but this was something I had to deal alone. I sat on the ground and saw the plants swaying. The atmosphere was peaceful unlike my feelings. The greenery calmed me and I closed my eyes. It was easy to forget the things I couldn't remember. It was easy to not focus on the threats I received from Savir. It was easy to think that I wasn't a princess and I had many people to protect. These thoughts were never leaving my mind but I suppressed them for some time. I did not know how much time had passed.

"Its beautiful, isn't it?"

I didn't have to figure this out. Only one person could seek me out in this way.

Chris sat beside me and I opened my eyes and saw what he was seeing. The flowers were beautiful and the sunlight was fading slowly. It was nearing nightfall. The golden glow made the plants seem ethereal. I always thought they were beautiful. But now they were more than beautiful. Nature was the eternal truth and I knew I wasn't running away anything. Not really. All of this was inside me, buried but present. And I shouldn't flee from what was before me.

I nodded at Chris.

"I know it's a lot to take in. We were going to learn all of this but things changed."

Things changed when I forgot them. I was done whining and thinking that I was in charge. If I was in charge, I would have not forgotten my whole life. I would have known about the Memory Block.

"I want to learn now. All of it. All magical classes and combat and everything. I don't want to miss anything. I want to learn more about my powers."

Chris was watching me. He had a soft smile on his face.

"I knew you would say that someday. You could never sit idle. We will learn everything. Don't worry about anything. We are in this together."

"How did we become friends? I am lucky to have you by my side."

He laughed at that. It was the first carefree laugh from him. He seemed tense at all times and he smiled but I hadn't seen him laugh with joy. It could only mean I had done something stupid or embarrassing when we met.

"You broke my first guitar. We were in music class when we were five. And you didn't like staying in that class. So you picked the first thing you found when you were throwing the tantrum. "

Oh my God. Did I really do that? I was horrible to him and we still became best friends?

"This is the important part."He raised his eyebrows. I frowned at him. It would surely be embarrassing.

"Realising what you had done, you started crying. I was angry but I didn't want you to cry. And of course, I didn't know who you were. So before I could say anything, Ms.Violet carried you out. I didn't practise that day. So guess my reaction when I saw a new guitar next day. The Queen came and we all bowed.  I was surprised when she came towards me and kneeled before me."

"I wasn't there, right?"

"No, you weren't. The Queen asked me to come with her. I was never in trouble so I didn't understand what happened. Turns out she bought the guitar for me and you were supposed to apologize to me."

"Did I apologise?"

"You did. And you started annoying me in all classes from then."

I hit him on the head for that comment. I wasn't annoying.

"Okay, you didn't annoy me in the classes. You annoyed me everywhere."

I glowered at him.

"I would hit you again but you would expect it."

"Okay, okay. Jokes aside, we weren't separable from then and we got into so much trouble."

"I wish I could remember everything."

"Don't stress yourself. It will happen in near future. You always were optimistic."

"I am optimistic. What do you think about the Deceptor theory?"

He frowned at me.

"I think Will is hiding something."

I looked away from him.

" You don't trust him."

It wasn't a question. He didn't trust Will for some reason.

"I don't get any feel around him. He perfectly knows that Mind Readers can't read him. So how can I deduce that he is telling truth? We don't have any evidence about his sister. We don't know if she is real or if he is making up all of this."

"I think we should give him benefit of the doubt. Innocent till proven guilty, right?"

"We can't afford to give him any benefits. The matter is sensitive as it is. Just be careful till you know everything about him. And Deceptors are real. If he had a run in with them, he isn't innocent. Deceptors are private people and they threaten only when they are threatened. They are calm but easily provocated. If what he said was true and they did really have his sister, then it is really bad. We shouldn't get involved in their matter."

"We said we would help him. What if he wasn't involved? What if we are judging him prematurely? It would cause harm to Nova. Shouldn't we protect the innocent?"

"I know. That's why we should be careful in this path. It would have been good if we knew more a out Deceptors. Like where they lived and stuff."

I got an idea.

"Wait a minute. I'll be back."

I moved towards the door but before I could open it, I heard someone speaking.

I know. I know. I will tell you.

Deciding to investigate, I opened the door. There was no one except Will. It meant he spoke those words. But with whom? Was Chris right and I wasn't looking at the truth before me?

Author's note:
I hope you guys liked it. I promise there will be action in upcoming chapters. And I decided to rewrite Mind Shifter. I would just add more details to it. If you have any suggestions, please tell me.

So what do you think about this chapter?

Is Will telling the truth or lying? What are your theories? Is Chris right that Will was suspicious?