【 ғɪᴠᴇ 】

K A T S U K I

Chaos. 

I winced, trying (and failing) to push myself up to evaluate what the fuck had just happened. In an instant, the window panes shattered into millions of pieces, glittering the ground around me. I sheltered my head from the glass, wincing as some stuck into my forearm. I could worry about that later. Gunshots echoed from outside, thousands at a time - like the police were throwing everything they had at their target. I panicked; I can't let them hurt him!
I ignored the pain as I scrambled to stand, stumbling towards the door. I threw it open; my heart sinking to find the hallway in total anarchy. Cops, Pro Heroes and civilians raced in both directions, none of them knowing what to do with themselves. I'd have to beat my way through this crowd, and by the screams coming from outside - I doubt I'd have time for that. My gaze wandered to the broken windows, and a completely stupid idea began to form. Practically suicidal, and yet if done right - tactical brilliance.
"Are you alright?!" All Might yelled at me, but over the sirens, merciless gunfire and shrill screams it sounded like a quiet murmur.

"I'm fine!" I yelled back, "At least, I will be."

He tilted his head at the last part, looking between me and the window until realisation hit him. His eyes turned desperate as he barked at me, but another explosion blocked his words of what I assumed would've been common sense and rationality. I don't have time to consider the danger.

Act first, regret later.

I dashed towards the window, scaling the ledge with ease and kicking off - for a moment everything slowed. The street below was awash with flashes of red and blue, navy flames and an obsidian hue - raging warfare. I scanned the area for a speck of green - even the slightest glimpse of it - but nothing. It took a good few minutes for me to snap back into reality, and the crushing fact that if I didn't act now, I was going to become one with the pavement below. I used my Quirk to slow my descent enough to land safely, my shoulder taking most of the impact as I rolled to a standstill. Jumping to my feet, I put my hands up to fight.

"Die, you bastards!"

***

I Z U K U

I was practically invisible, weaving in and out of the crowd of panicking people - not even spared a side glance. I tugged my hood further down to cover my eyes, I don't know why - with my head tilted down you couldn't see my face anyway. Maybe it's just a subconscious thing. Shit if I know. I scanned the faces as I passed, every so often holding my breath as a flash of crimson or a lock of blonde caught my eye.

"You're kidding, right?" 

"You said it yourself Midoriya - Heroes are a disgrace, they have no place among us."

"He's not just some meaningless hero though, and you know it."

"That's exactly why you need to take care of him. Destroy the last thing holding you in a world that never wanted you there to start with."

I shook my head, wincing at a phantom pain in my chest. All For One makes it sound so easy; like taking a lighter to a photograph. He could have easily gotten Tomura or Toga to dispose of him if he was causing too much of a problem for the League. No emotional attachment - they'd have it done the same day and wouldn't lose a wink of sleep doing it. I frown to myself, fisting my hoodie to ground myself as I continue to search. 

This is bullshit.

I manage to take out a cop and wound a hero as I pass; simple misdirection and a quick slash to the abdomen with my pocket knife made it child's play. Of course, there was no need for it. They weren't in my way - I just like the feeling of being the difference between life and death.

A loud boom catches my attention, my heart sinking into my stomach. Half of me hoped I was wrong. That I was hearing things. But as I followed the noise, I cursed under my breath. He looked almost celestial compared to the combat around him - the boy was literally steaming for crying out loud. I bit the inside of my cheek as I stared at him; almost urging him to notice me, but quietly praying he wouldn't. His eyes looked glossy, unfocused, complemented by his signature twisted grin. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we were on the same side.

He growled as he lunged at some poor villain that I couldn't quite recognise - I wasn't even sure he was a villain. I'm making a guess here.

Suddenly, the knife clenched in my fist grew hot - boiling, even. I didn't dare let it go; I gripped it tighter.

"He doesn't love you, Midoriya."

You don't know that.

"He never did."

You weren't there.

"If he loved you, you'd be in his arms right now."

He just didn't know where to find me.

"Take this; get it done."

I don't want to.

Snapping back to reality, I found myself making a beeline for the cackling blonde - keeping a close distance, a calculated attack. Whether I liked it or not, he had to go. It's him or me. Knife raised, I intended to make it quick - for old time's sake. I closed my eyes. A screech; warmth engulfed my wrist. My eyelids shot open, met with the intense fire that had haunted me since childhood. His eyebrows furrowed slightly, but his expression gave nothing away. For a moment, I remained stunned, unable to move. We just...stared at eachother.
"Deku," His voice broke slightly. It was a pathetic sound, a heartbreaking one. His demeanor shifted from attack mode to fucking Jello - and suddenly he was leaning in to hug me.

Abort! Abort!

I shoved him back, digging the knife into his shoulder in the process. He roared in pain as he hit the ground; the sound not as satisfying as it usually was. To be honest...it just made me feel sick.
"I hope you've made peace with God, Kacchan~" I cooed, setting my braincells to work rebuilding the wall around my emotions, "'Coz trust me, you're pretty fuckin' close to meeting him."

"What the fuck?!" He raged, glancing from me to the knife, and back again.

"Still hasn't sunk in yet, hm?" I teased. I crouched down to be level with him, tilting his chin up with a sweet smile, "I'm here to kill you, sweetheart."

"What-" His eyes widened a fraction, "What have those bastards done to you?"

I stood up, dusting off my hoodie mindlessly.

Just kill the bitch, already. He's helpless - fucking kill him!

"They showed me what my eyes could not tell me," I answered quietly, "They showed me the truth that hides behind painted smiles and loaded lies."

"Are you hearing yourself right now?" He questioned incredulously, "You sound like a lunatic."

"I wouldn't expect you to understand," I muttered, producing another knife from the lining of my hoodie, "I expect you to die."
Suddenly, his gaze narrowed at the blade dug in his flesh, and without thinking he gripped the handle and yanked it out. I cringed as blood flooded from the wound, but he held himself pretty well regardless. I took a stance, accepting that I had the upper hand here. I knew his fighting patterns better than he did. There was no way he was going to defeat-

Crack!

Sharp pain, then black. 

▪*:・°✧°・: *▪

ᴡᴏʀᴅ ᴄᴏᴜɴᴛ: 1291

ᴘᴜʙʟɪsʜᴇᴅ: 15/10/2019