16• ME, HER AND THE AUTUMN BREEZE

We lay down in a large circle of candles, relaxing our minds.

"Hello" Sabrina greets as we stand at the foot of Jesse's bed.

"Didn't mean to intrude" i cock my head at his burned and scabby face.

"Won't you have a seat?" He asks in clearly not his voice as a chair slides across the room and I step our the way of it, turning to him.

"No thanks, we'll stand" i fold my arms across my chest.

"Come closer, there's something about you I can't quite..." he cranes his head towards us, sniffing.

"Ohh, you're corrupt, impure, but in what way though?" He quizzes.

"Is that a problem?" I challenge, a pointed look set on him.

"Demons prey on fear" aunt Zelda's words ring in my head.

Time to show him we're not afraid.

"What are you doing here, demon? What do you want?" Sabrina squints.

"Spoil, debase, and corrupt humans, starting with this vessel and when I'm done, I'll move onto your friends who were impolite and tied me up like an animal" he growls, jolting forward.

"Then stop acting like one" I spit.

"You don't need to stay tied up here, you could leave Jesse's body-" Sabrina tries and he jumps forward again, his binds stopping him.

"Leave? Why would I do that? It's so nice and warm and sinful in here" he grins.

"Then let me tell you about an oven" I smile sarcastically.

"Is that why you chose him? Was Jesse sinful?" Sabrina quizzes.

"He's a sodomite, an abomination, more than anything, Jesse Putnam was convenient. My possession is his reward for setting me free" he cocks his head.

"What's your name?" I challenge, resting my hands on the bottom bed post.

"What's yours?" He cracks his neck.

"We're Sabrina and Ivory Spellman, daughters of high priest and conjuror Edward Spellman" Sabrina says confidently.

"So you're witches, in that case, there's no harm in telling you. I am Maerceci" he growls and the curtains swing oven, revealing his name written in the dirt.

"Overlord of Gluttony, devourer of flesh, demon from the bowels" he announces.

"The Putnams' don't want you here, Maerceci, we don't want you here so leave now before things get bad for you" I threaten, standing straight.

"And if you think we're bluffing, we'll happily introduce you to another of your kind that we-" I huff as he commits acid across the room, going through us burning a chair.

"You're not even here, how rude" he foams at the mouth, laying back.

I share a confused glance with Sabrina as she steps closer.