9: Losing Control

Hunter

I opened my eyes as the smell of coffee filled the air, waking me up from a dreamless sleep. Looking over the couch I see Birdy in tight black pants and a red turtleneck looking over a notepad as she drank from a coffee cup. I glanced down at my phone when she caught me looking at her, her eyes feeling as if they pierced right into me.

"Fuck." I grumbled seeing it was barely after 7, we had gotten here at 2. "You're up early." I sat up on the couch rolling my shoulders.

"Ya couldn't shut off my brain. I have to head off to campus for a couple meetings." She said drinking more coffee, closing her eyes as she did.

"You sure?" She couldn't actually be fine after last night and want to be out in public, don't people usually have anxiety after those types of night? I mean I don't know normal people but still, she's new to this life so she has to be some form of normal?

"I'm fine, need to keep moving and keep going. Sitting around won't do shit. You want coffee?" She closed her notebook and went to the coffee pot, placing it on the counter for me.

Nodding I got up to stretch, my body tight from sleeping on her couch. Fuck next time I'm here I'm on the bed with her not on that shit couch. And yes, there will be a next time and the bed won't be the only thing I'll be in.

I walked over to where she was biting her lip looking me over causing me to smirk making her to look down at her phone. She is clearly affected by my body, it's something I am used to but her trying to hide it is adorable and I am not used to that.

"The coffee mugs are over there, milks in the fridge but I don't have any sugar. There's honey though." She ended clearing of her throat moving her notes into a bag.

I walked over pouring myself a coffee black then stood next to her startling her, her reactions to me really are getting adorable. Birdy's eyes stared back at me wondering why I was staring at her and standing so close. I moved my hand up to push down the turtle neck showing the bruising, lightly tracing it with the tips of my fingers.

I couldn't tell you what happened last night when I heard her having a nightmare, calling out in her sleep, thrashing around in the bed from terror. I had reacted, running to her bed to wake her up from whatever plagued her. To say I was shocked when she jumped out of the bed shaking it off was understatement, but she was a fighter never letting something hold her back.

Then for some reason, I had tried to engage her in a conversation, coaxing her to open up to me, using a soft voice she had brought out of me, trying to learn how she had gotten herself in trouble. Fuck I had even go so far as to talk about myself; every self-control I had at closing myself off to others was out the door at the thought she needed someone to relate to.

What the fuck is wrong with me, I need to keep my control.

"I'm fine, took some painkillers. I uh I have to go." She moved back as her cheeks flushed and I felt the goose bumps raise on her from where my fingers used to be. If I keep looking at her body and her responses I am going to end up trying to take her right here right now and show her what control I have.

I nodded in response taking her phone out of her hands moving to her contacts and added mine.

"Call me if you need anything." Passing the phone back I chugged the coffee, grateful it was room temp and not freshly boiled. Walked back to the count I put on my shirt, cut and boots. "I mean it, watch your back and call me if you find yourself in trouble or even if you want me to take a look at that Impala of yours." A car like that doesn't deserve to be parked not working.