Chapter Thirty-Seven

The first night back home was stressful for Alice and Loki. They got barely any sleep and most of what they did during the day was centered around Erica. The adjustment period took some time for the both of them. By the second month, the two were getting into the groove of things. Alice was breastfeeding Erica as Loki seated himself next to her in the nursery.

"She's feeding so well now. I'm so proud of you, little girl." Alice giggled.

When Erica was finished, Alice burped her and then handed her over to Loki. He rocked her in his arms and smiled as he watched her slowly drift into sleep.

"Just close your eyes, snowflake, and have wonderful dreams. And don't wake up screaming bloody murder." Loki whispered.

Alice rolled her eyes as she let out a quick laugh. Once he was certain she was asleep, Loki placed Erica down gently in her crib. He then pulled the small blanket over her and the two just watched Erica for a moment before making their exit. They got into bed and chatted for a bit.

"Loki?" Alice asked softly.

"Yes? What is it?" Loki inquired, wrapping his arm around her body so her chest was pressed against his.

"Do still believe Thanos is actually going to come?" She responded.

Loki furrowed his brow as he looked at Alice.

"Yes, I do. He has made it perfectly clear." Loki told her.

"Yes, but it's been some time since he's even made an appearance to us or has tried to do something against us. Don't you think he's stopped?" She questioned him.

"Alice, I know him. This is just what he wants. Once he knows our guards are down, he will attack. I know him and how he acts. I've seen what he is capable of." He explained.

"I know but-"

"And you even saw him with the stone. You know he gets them all. We cannot, for one second, put our guards down. For all we know, he could come tonight and try to take you from me. I wouldn't even be surprised if he knew about Erica already. Oh, god, we haven't even come up with a plan on how to protect her!"

As Loki sat up in bed, Alice placed her hand on his shoulder and hushed him, running her other hand up and down his back soothe him.

"I know, Loki, and that's something we can talk about. But not tonight," Alice spoke softly. "Tonight, it's just you and me here in bed. Tonight, we just sleep and wake up tomorrow and experience a brand new day together."

Loki let out a deep breath and nodded his head. The two laid back down on the bed, wrapped in each other's arms.

"All will be well, Loki. All will be well." Alice whispered.

The two kissed as she was reminded of the vision she had with Thanos and Loki. He pulled her closer to him and kissed her once again with an intensity that confused Alice. When he pulled away, he brushed the hair away from her face and smiled seeing her furrowed brow and wide eyes.

"Thank you for being in my life." Loki beamed.

"Thank you for being in mine." She spoke against his lips.

The two shared a sweet kiss before drifting off to sleep. In the middle of the night, Loki awoke and carefully removed his arms from around Alice once he started to hear Erica fussing in the other room. He made his way to the nursery and softly hushed her as he peered down into the crib. He watched as she kicked her legs, moving the blanket off of her body as she squirmed around, huffing and starting to cry. Loki picked her up into his arms and laid her against his chest, one arm cradling her head as the other held her up. He rocked her and kissed the top of her head.