Chapter Six

A/N: I've been busy with school and art- I redrew Karelia, so I've included her here. I think her new design looks much... more human tbh.
Also, I feel like I should have mentioned this earlier in the book, but both Karelia and Charlotte are 19.
I'm working on redoing Charlotte, still.

Karelia's POV

~~~

It was dark outside now, from what I could tell. I could hear crickets, and they'd been going for hours- but I couldn't see. There were no windows for me to even make an estimate of the time, but that's when I was reminded-
I doubted that the game consoles in here had internet connectivity, so I couldn't confirm that the time on them would be correct, but...

I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by.

I pulled myself out of the bed despite the pain, once again wrapping the sheets around myself- for warmth, this time. I was glad to be clothed.
I moved the empty plate off to the side, stepping onto the carpeted floor and moving to kneel down on the carpet, turning on the PS3.

I was met with disappointment when it started. The time didn't at all match the sounds coming from outside-- disregarding the occasional screaming that rang through the air.

11:40 AM

I sighed, pulling back. As bored as I was, I wasn't in the mood to play. I was in far too much pain- the creatures here didn't seem to know about pain medication, and god, that made my blood boil.

I began to wonder where my clothes had come from. They felt like they belonged do a child, almost. What had they done? Was that child dead now?

I reassured myself. Whatever happened- it wasn't my fault. What mattered now was that I was dubiously safe, I was alive, and...

I promised myself there and then that I'd make my way home, someday, somehow. One day, I'd see my mother again, and the pictures of my father, passed long ago.

No matter what cruelties I may have to commit to get to that point.

~~~
Charlotte's POV
~~~

My heart was still pumping- whether it was with excitement or dread, I wasn't sure.
My mother was gone.  If what the news reporters said was true, she'd be back in a few days. I had a new lead, but a frighteningly short timeframe to follow it up.
I had already spoken to Karelia's mother, the only person I could think to ask. She didn't talk to that many people. Online, perhaps, but she always told me about the more intriguing parts of her conversations. There's no way she wouldn't tell me if someone she knew lived nearby.

I ran a hand through my hair, huffing. Why did this have to be so difficult? As unreasonable as I knew it to be, I wished the pieces would just fall into my hands.

...

And then my phone started ringing. I yelped, reaching into my pocket, my hands almost shaking too much to take it.

It was from a strange number. Offputting, though I couldn't figure out why.

555-0193

I disregarded the odd sense of familiarity, answering the call as soon as I was calm enough.

"Hello?" I asked hopefully, pausing for a moment as I realized I had been pacing. I sat down, though I was still on the edge of my seat.

I heard someone awkwardly clear their throat on the other end, mutter something indecipherable, and then begin to speak.

"I... uh." My guess was that it was probably a man, but they seemed rather nervous just speaking. I was cautious, as anyone would be receiving a call from a strange man soon after the disappearance of a friend, but my hope came from knowing where he might have gotten my number. The posters I'd put up not so long ago.

My prayers were soon answered.

"I know who Karelia is... Where, I mean. Fuck. I'm not good at this."

I nodded enthusiastically, even though they couldn't see it.

"You do? Where?"

Danger forgotten, I folded the fabric of my skirt in my hand over and over again, fidgeting endlessly as I waited for a response.

"I think we should meet, I don't think this is safe-"

There was an odd noise from the other end. A scream. The man(?) gasped. I believed them, suddenly.

"... Alright. Where would be good for you? How soon?"

I pulled up Notes on my phone, waiting for their response. They seemed hesitant, but finally spoke up after a moment's hesitation.

"The park around the corner from your house. Now."

Whoever it was suddenly dropped the phone, and I was left stunned as it hung up, seemingly on its own. How did they know where I lived? Distrust was creeping up my spine, but I didn't have a choice but to take the lead.

As aforementioned, I didn't have time to waste.

So I didn't waste any.

I pulled on my jacket again, slipped my phone into my pocket, checked that I had the key and stepped out my front door.