Chapter Eleven

Karelia's POV

~~~

The halls of the mansion were dark and cavernous. An inky black, painted that way by the shards of glass that had once been light bulbs, crunching beneath my boots.

Attempting to sneak out of my room had proved to be not only a fruitless, but dangerous endeavor. I felt I should have expected as much-- after all, this was the home of those who assault and murder to pass time. At this point, though, I wasn't entirely sure how to get back to my room anymore.

As I leaned against the wall, pondering whether or not I should even try, I felt it give way slightly. My eyes wide despite the impenetrable darkness, I pressed my palms against it, feeling something tear under my hand.
Light flooded my vision and cold assaulted my senses as I took in the room before me, caught between disgust, shock and awe.

Was this a fridge? I faltered, unable to adjust to the light quickly enough, but I decided to step in regardless. My attention was first caught by liquid dripping onto my head. I felt petrified in that moment- as if I'd just discovered something no human should ever happen upon. After a moment that felt like an eternity, I stepped to the side, glancing above myself breathlessly.

The first thing I was aware of- viscerally- was my heart pounding into my throat. The bodies of people- people like me-- humans--- hung from the ceiling above me. Their bodies-
I didn't know how to describe it, my mind was rushing-
Their bodies- some missing limbs, all brutally mutilated- smiled at me as I entered the room with smiles too wide for eyes to see, or for any face to hold.

I was stunned. I am stunned. I couldn't think. I didn't want to. My thoughts were jarred. I took a step back, feeling the room twist around me as my vision darkened. I felt faint.

I stepped back into a room bathed in pink, and didn't stop until the door abruptly closed again. Even then, I continued. I had to get away. I knew it was impossible. I knew I would never end up like that.
But I couldn't.
I couldn't let it happen to me. I didn't want to be hurt. I didn't want to be diced, or made to- smile in such a way, or forced, or-

I finally came to a stop when the back of my knee hit something hard behind me. I had to pause to process, finally, what was going on. There was music playing.
Soothing music. A music box.
More importantly, there were the voices of two small children sounding out from behind me. "Hey!" One insisted, and I struggled to keep up. "That was our tea party!"

Of course, of course. Little girls, perhaps? I couldn't bring myself to respond, still staring at the door.

I heard Sally Dawn speak next. I recognized her voice. It was soothing. It was calming. She was somebody I knew- and in a place like this, it almost felt as if that automatically meant that she was somebody that I trusted.

"It's okay..." She muttered, pausing. "You can sit down. What's wrong?"

I finally brought myself to turn around, recognizing that I was standing on an orange cushion, my heel digging into the soft fabric. I found myself collapsing into a sitting position at once, almost unable to speak. "I... she... that woman... she was..."

Sally watched me patiently, holding the cups belonging to her and the other girl above the table for a moment longer before lowering them again. It seemed like she had been... protecting them from spilling? I glanced between the two. Oh. I hadn't meant to ruin their little game. When she realized I wasn't going to say anything else, she spoke again. "Did the mansion mess with you? It did that when I first arrived, too. It's okay."

Her words brought me the calm I wasn't sure I needed, allowing me to begin rationalizing the situation.
I was safe. I knew that.
If I was to be tortured brutally, it would have already happened.
That really only left one question. "So... what I saw... it wasn't real?" I asked, feeling my voice crack halfway through the sentence.

Sally paused for a moment, furrowing her eyebrows. I watched her expression carefully. Her vivid green eyes glanced toward the door for a moment before landing back on me, and she parted her lips, ready to speak- and yet, the other girl interjected.

"It probably was." She informed me, cheerfully. It felt like a punch to the gut. "I mean... you saw what, corpses? There are a BUNCH of those around here! Slendy even lets me see some sometimes."

"Lazari!"
I could tell Sally was trying to protect me. I grimaced, shaking my head. "Oh... I. I see." My voice came out fainter than I intended. I supposed, after all- I couldn't hide my true feelings about the situation, no matter how hard I tried.
"No, no- it's okay. Could I, have some tea? I don't really want to try getting back... to my room... right now."

Sally nodded in hasty agreement, lifting the teapot once again.

~~~
Charlotte's POV
~~~

I kept my eyes locked on Slenderman as I sipped at my hot chocolate, a keen smile spread across my face as I asked my next question.
"What about the Rake? Is that real?"
He sighed, seeming to glance toward the fourth wall of the room. He almost could have been frowning- but I knew the truth. He must be so glad for my company.

"Yes..." He sighed. "The Rake is very much real, and doesn't always like to follow orders. Which is exactly why you need to train." He hissed, tapping his fingers against the table. "Or even just pick a weapon."

I hummed in thought, unable to contain my excitement. I slammed the cup down. "Okay, okay. Get this.... Aaaxe!" I suggested, leaning forward. "How about it?"

He sighed. "You threw the axe at Toby. Let's try something else." He suggested.

I squinted. "Er... how about-"

Slenderman stopped me before I spoke, already aware of what I was going to say. He could read minds, after all- but he didn't seem to approve of my idea. I'm not sure why.
"No, you can't have a sword bigger than your body." He insisted. "You know what?"

I paused, intertwining my fingers and resting my chin upon them. "Hm?"
I continued to stare at him.

"..." He shuddered. "Maybe we should train you in each of them. See which you're best with."

"But Charlotte the Gunslinger--"

"No."

A sense of childlike giddiness had come over me these past few days. My thoughts had been focused on Slenderman, and only Slenderman. That's why I was shocked mere moments later, when he gave me his final order for the day.

"Okay. Go check on... Karelia, was it? It seems she's gotten into trouble around the mansion."

My expression fell immediately. I couldn't believe I had forgotten about her- what had I been doing this entire time?
My memories rushed back to me abruptly, my adoration for the cryptid before me quelled, though not absent. I shook my head, concern rising in my chest.

"Okay..." I trailed off. "Okay. Karelia. Shit. Where is she?"

Slenderman chuckled as I felt his mind finally release my own entirely, the joyful fog lifting from my own thoughts.

"The house should take you to her. Hurry, now. She's had quite the trauma- or so I've been told."

Shaking my head, I obeyed him without question. I didn't have to be told twice. I felt so awful, so vile, so disgusting for leaving her so long.

I hoped she could forgive me.

~~~
Offenderman
~~~

I glared at the mansion doors as I finished off my cigarette, dropping the butt of it and stomping it into the ground.

I knew I needed to go back. I felt fucking drawn to the place, and I couldn't fully explain why. I told myself it was hunger, or loneliness. The need for a good meal.

Maybe I'd even pay my brother's new proxy a visit.

I scowled, shaking my head to dispel the thought as I pushed the doors open, striding in confidently and immediately bashing my head against the doorframe.

I hissed, cussing under my breath as I ducked. I could hear BEN cackling at me once again, but paid him no mind as I hunched my shoulders, tightening my trenchcoat as I headed to the kitchen.

I stared blankly at the options before me before settling on a steak, tearing into it raw as I sat down at the table, propping my feet up on it. My private time, however, was interrupted by my dear brother sitting across from me.

"Legs off the table." Slenderman scolded. He'd always seen himself as the authority, just because he was the oldest. And because he owned the mansion. And the woods.
I flicked out my tongue and hissed at him before complying, crossing my legs as I leaned against the carved wood surface.

"What do you want now." I muttered, my gaze locked on him, though I was well aware he couldn't see it. He tilted his head up and to the side slightly, as if curious.

"... Why did you really come back tonight?" He asked, pausing. "I don't mean to imply that you can't eat- or that you're not welcome here, of course, but... we both know that you don't like me, as much as you insist so whenever you get into trouble."

Despite the fact that I thought I knew my reasoning, I snapped at him. What a nosy bastard he was! "It's none of your fucking business, that's what it is." I told him, digging my claws into the juicy meat. "And besides. I do like you. You're my damn brother, and that's that. Don't expect anything more, don't expect anything less."

My brother looked away. I couldn't tell if he was eyeing BEN behind him or the wall to our side, but it was something to that effect. He was observing the room around us rather than paying attention to me. "You avoid me."

"I'm always busy." I growled. "But hey- look at that, whoa- now I'm fuckin' not, so stop bitchin' and we can actually have a good conversation."

"Aren't we?" Slender's question caught me off-guard. I had to think for a moment.

"I... I guess so. Shit, it's been a long time since we just..."

"Talked." Slender supplied helpfully. I nodded in agreement.

"... Shit. I. Huh... so." I chuckled awkwardly. "Where do we begin?"

Slenderman leaned forward, visibly at ease. I felt like I had made a mistake- like I was obligated to listen to what he had to say now, whether I liked it or not. I wondered if he knew that, too. "Let's start with the girl you dragged back..."

~~~

A/N: Finally decided to update! This chapter feels really long, but I feel like I've done longer in this fic.