Chapter 16

Zhaen

The lights flicked on and I lifted my head. The teacher said class was over and instructed all of us to leave. I sighed and grabbed my bag. I stood there as I felt time slow down for me. I saw what I thought was Caleb, but it couldn't have been. He was so much shorter than now.

"You gotta catch me if you want it back!" Caleb yelled at me and I smiled. Watching as the teacher told us to calm down because she would be right back, "Gotcha teach, I will make sure no one comes in and murders us!"

The teacher rolled their eyes and pointed to the back of the class, "Joey, you're in charge!"

"Understood." Joey replied as he watched the teacher close the door and lock it. Joey got up and walked to the front of the class, picking up the bunny's cage before walking back to his seat and sitting, "Proceed your shenanigans." 

"Give me my bag you sack of-" I yelled as I hopped over the desks and ran after him.

"Woah! Language!" Caleb yelled and I smiled as I almost caught him. I extended my hand out and got a hold of his shirt but then falling too far forwards, bringing him down with me.

"Wah!" I yelled as I landed on my face and on one of the stairs for the bleacher-way-desks

"Zhaen!:" I heard a worried Joey and smiled as I stood up. My mouth tasted like blood and I reached my hand up to my face and pulled back. I just busted my lip. It's fine.

"I'm fine JoJo. Don't worry," I said as I smiled at him and walked back towards my seat. I get to my row when a hand stops me, "Come on Caleb, I wanna sit down."

"Zhaen." I heard him say as I looked up to him. His hand resting on the wall as he looked down at me, preventing me from continuing on towards my desk.

"Zhaen." I heard again but it didn't come from Caleb.

"Zhaen." I snapped out of it and saw I was in the same corner, but Joey was staring down at me. He looked worried and I shook my head and smiled.

"I'm fine JoJo, I was just lost in thought. Sorry, let's go to the field. I don't want to go home just yet." I said as I walked towards the classroom door. I took a left, down the hall and then a right. I took another left as we walked past the entrance of the school and past the auditorium. Past the cafeterias and taking a right straight towards the patio. Walking outside and past the patio and straight towards the practice field.

"Zhaen?" I heard Xios call out and I turned around.

"Hm? Yeah?" 

"Are you sure you're ok? You've been zoning out a lot recently."

"Don't worry about it Xi. I am fine. Just tired, ya know?"

"Then why are we going to the practice field?" Joey asked as he caught up to us and I sighed.

"I just wanted to be out here, ya know? I don't wanna go back home yet. You can go if you want." I said and Joey rolled his eyes and then continued on walking. He actually walked ahead and I sighed.

"JoJo, I'm sorry." I said as I caught up to him. Leaving Xios behind. We both reached the field and I lay in the grass. He lays next to me and we both stare up at the clouds.

"For what?"

"For being the way that I have been. It's just hard, ya know? I feel like our group is incomplete..." I said and I could feel Joey's gaze on me but I didn't wanna look at him. I couldn't, I knew I was going to cry if I did. 

"Zhaen...it's ok. We aren't exactly the best people to be around. We all have our flaws but Caleb? He just refuses to stay put in one spot sometimes."

"Yeah. I guess." I said and I rolled on my side. I looked at Joey as he looked at me. He looked sorry and I felt hurt. I felt broken inside. I didn't know what to do when the tears started coming, "What are we going to do now?" I asked as I cried.

Joey pulled me into his chest and put his hand on the back of my head. He shook his head and tried shushing me, "Shh, it's ok. We aren't going to do anything. Once Caleb has calmed down? We can talk it out ok?"

I nodded as I cried into his chest. Gripping his shirt and feeling useless. All I do is cry. I'm a big baby. I don't do anything to help people anymore, if anything? I tick them off easier now. I push them away on accident. 

"Thank you for staying with me, JoJo."