fifteen

"dad?" calli asked, walking around the corner of brendon's house, our house. her birthday was last week, and with the help of the guys and eve we were all moved into brendon's house.

"boo!" he screamed, making cali scream excitedly as he began to tickle her. she couldn't stop laughing as she fell back on the couch.

"cali come on, you gotta get dressed" i said, clearly on edge and i took her hand and walked with her to her bedroom. i handed her a pink shirt, jeans, and little pink converse.

as she was putting on her clothes, i looked in the mirror and fixed my hair. today was the day  cali and i finally met brendon's mom.

brendon and i werent dating, so we didn't know what to tell his mom.

my outfit was fine, a grey sweater with jeans and some tan high heeled boots. brendon on the other hand wasn't nervous at all, casually wearing a queen t shirt and jeans.

"let's go ladies" brendon said, popping on his sunglasses as we all walked out to the car.

if brendon was anything, he was a great dad. he handed cali a baggy of goldfish, strapping her into her car seat.

we both got into the front seat, turning on the radio. halsey came on, brendon and cali both screaming the words in unison.

by the time they were done singing, we were already at the house. it was tiny and red, sitting on top of a tiny hill.

brendon just stared at the house, his hands shaking slightly. "alright let's- let's go" he said, stumbling over the words as he got out of the car.

cali followed us as we walked up to the front door, brendon knocking on the door.

a short woman opened the door, a warm smile already on her features. "bren!" she said happily, throwing her arms around her son.

"hi mom" he said, smiling and kissing her on the cheek. you could tell the gears were turning in cali's mind.

i was terrified she would think i was some kind of slut, or that she would have no interest in cali.

"oh brendon, they're beautiful" she said to her son, attempting to say it quietly.

"come in come in" she said, ushering us all inside brendon's childhood home.

it was cute, with a small white floral couch, television, and photographs everywhere in the main room. i saw one of young brendon, smiling and holding up seven fingers next to a birthday cake.

cali was confused.

"mommy, why are we here?" she asked, holding my hand.

"cali...this is your other grandma" brendon said to cali, brendon's mother, grace, smiling and waving to her.

"hello" she said, kneeling to her height.

"hi" she smiled cheekily. brendon's mother wiped a tear from her eye, "she has your eyes" she said to your son.

"she's beautiful, so are you" she said to me, extending her arms and hugging me. i hugged back, relieved by her kindness.

"have brendon show you around, i'll talk to cali" she said, smiling and sitting down next to cali.

brendon was completely out of it, standing in the kitchen. he was staring at the sharp corner of the counter top, his hands at his sides.

"brendon, it's me" i said, my hand on his upper back as he just stared at it.

"is- is this where it happened?" i asked, making him nod. i ushered him away, holding his hand. "wanna show me your old room?" i asked him.

he looked mentally exhausted but nonetheless, he smiled.