twenty one

Just about everyone had left Cali's graduation celebration at our house, yet my mother hadn't showed up yet.

"Is grandma coming?" Cali asked, sitting at the table and eating her mac n cheese.

"Uh...yeah sweetie." I said, nervous my mom wouldn't show up.

Brendon hadn't met my mom, he didn't even know anything about her. I was hoping she wouldn't show up.

"Caliiiiiii?" My mother's eccentric voice boomed through our livingroom, signaling that Eve had let her in.

"Grammy!" Cali screamed, running and jumping into her arms.

"Oh hi baby!" My mom smiled, hugging Cali.

Brendon looked at me with a fearful look on his face, and I laughed quietly.

"And who is this?" My mom asked, looking at Brendon.

"We've been over this. Brendon, my boyfriend and Cali's father." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Pleasure to meet you." He said with a smile, sticking out his hand.

She shook his hand, dropping it afterwards like it meant nothing.

"Well I got Cali her graduation gift." She smirked.

"And what would that be?" I rolled my eyes, sitting on Brendon's lap.

She handed Cali a baby pink bag, and she opened it. Inside was a brand new pair of ballet shoes, perfectly Cali's size.

Brendon must have felt my entire body tense up, because he placed a reassuring hand on my back.

"What the hell." I mumbled.

"Try them on!" My mom smiled, Cali putting the shoes on with pure excitement.

"Now show mommy what I taught you!" And like that, my daughter did a full split on the livingroom floor.

"She has perfect flexibility, like you did at her age! She would be such an amazing ballet student at my studio." My mom smiled.

"No." I hissed.

"Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean you can take away from your child who clearly has the same gift you did." My mom hissed lowly under her breath.

"Gift or not, I don't want you and the other monsters torturing her. She's in first grade mom." I said.

"And you started when you were three!"

"Exactly." Is all I said as I got off of Brendon, walking into my bedroom and slamming the door.

"Come on Lilly, let me in." Brendon banged on the door.

I opened it finally.

"She is not doing dance." I said.

"Babe just because you had a bad experience..." he said but I interrupted him instantly.

"Bad experience? I was fucking abused." I said.

"I know but, she wants to dance." Brendon begged.

"One class. If my mom starts it up again, she's out."