Chapter 3: Reunion

The car journey felt like it took for ever. Mum pointed out lots of places we should check out and all the monuments she was planning on seeing. She had come fully prepared with a guide book and a map. That's just what person my mum was a planner in advance with her fair skin and chocolate hair.

Unlike my mum me and Macy were planners in the moment however we were predictable and I could predict now that we would probably plan each day sunbathing at the beach.

We enter a small village and my mum gasps "Look David it's beautiful" my mum clutches my dads arm as if she felt like she could lose him in this peaceful state.

My mum was correct. Even though we were cooped up in the blue four door rental car I could still feel the tranquil atmosphere surround me in a bubble making me feel safe and secure. Every corner we turned there was either a small square, a cafe or an open view of the mountains up ahead.

"Is this the village we're staying in?" Lucy smiles. She was an inspired photographer and it doesn't take a professional to know this was a photogenic gold mind.

Mum nods vigorously and I could sense the glee radiating off of Lucy in waves.

We pull down a narrow path way to narrow that I almost though we would get stuck. Luckily we made it out alive and my jaws strength and muscle give way when I saw the big red iron gates up ahead. I look over to Lucy and Macy to see the same look of bewilderment on there faces as well.

"Who's house is that?" Macy managed to croak.

"The Carters" Dad responds.

OK now I'm hearing things.

"So we're staying there" Lucy screeched.

"Yes indeed" mum shouts at a similar level of noise as Lu.

I remember the Caters being rich but not this rich. They were well respected high up doctors who lived in a middle class house next door to us. Their furniture was much more neat and better quality than our stuff but they weren't 24carrot Richard. They were able to afford luxury things but it wasn't like they were going to buy a cruise tomorrow.

"How did they buy this?" I found myself asking.

"With money duh" Macy states the obvious.

"Mac, I mean they weren't billionaires. Where did the money come from?"

"Their new jobs in the city paid a lot more than in San Francisco" Mum finally replies.

When we approach the iron gates they looked bigger than I thought. Dad pressed a button which was followed by crackling and a cheery sweet voice is heard.

"Well hello there" Emma's voice echoes through the car.

"Hello Emma it's been awhile" My dad laughs.

"Well come on in to our three floors beach house mansion" She let's the last five words bathe in her mouth clearly showing she was proud of having bought this place. Mum and dad chuckle at how Emma says it as if she was presenting it on one of those TV shows.

The gate gradually opens and we drive up the dirt track until we reach the house. My jaw drops even lower at the sight of the white walls that stretched wide and how beautiful ivory cascaded down the walls on either side. I could just make out the beach at the back. The sea worked well as the canvas for the house.

We park and that's when I noticed that a lady and a man looking in their early fourtys were standing on the porch.

Mum practically leaped out the car and into the lady's arms "Oh Emma we've missed you so much"