Chapter Two

The high collar of his coat and the hat he wore obscured his face from her view, but she could tell he was looking at her. He tips the brim of his hat in greeting, like how she had seen cowboys do in many movies, before turning and walking out of the ring of light cast by the streetlamp, disappearing entirely once he left its glow.

The hand on her gun slackens, and instead she takes out her cell phone, calmly dialing a number and putting it to her ear. It isn't long before a man's voice answers. "Hey, what's up?"

"I found it." She replies in a very serious tone.

"Wait what?! Where are you! What's …

But his voice is suddenly cut off by a second of loud static. She looks down at the phone to see the words 'Signal Lost' written across the screen. She turns it off and walks in the direction where she has seen the figure. She reaches where she had seen him disappear and looks around. There's a faint flowery smell in the air, like when you're walking through a garden and the roses are blooming.

She spots him, reclining casually against the wall one building over, looking away from her down the opposite street, like he was expecting someone to come down the street at any minute.

She was astounded at just how non-threatening he seemed to look. Sure he was a little intimidating because of his height, but everything else about him seemed almost, friendly. Everything about his mannerisms seemed to say 'Just some tall guy hanging around in the street at night, nothing to see here.' And yet somehow he still managed to be fascinating to look at. For such a casual pose, he still seemed to show a tremendous amount of grace and strength, calling to mind the male models from magazines but with the height of a basketball player.

He turned his head to look at her. Even expecting this, she was still somewhat startled to see he didn't have a face, just smooth white featureless skin, like if especially fine, polished marble had somehow been turned into skin. But then he looked away, staring back down the street expectantly. Who was he waiting for? She thought to herself, even glancing down in the direction he was looking, but then she understood. He's not waiting for anyone; it's lulling her into a false sense of security. It's trying to get her to come to him. Peak her curiosity enough to approach him.

Sure enough he turns his head to glance at her, but he did it in a way that made HIM seem a little creeped out at her just standing there. Another quick glance down the road and he turned to look at her, pulling one pale white hand out of his pocket and casually beckoning her to come closer with two fingers. When she doesn't approach him, he just shrugs his shoulders and looks back down the street, hand reaching back in the pocket of his trench coat. She actually started to question if this really was the terrible rape monster she had been tracking. If he is, then he's really good at not seeming like one, but then again, that's probably just what it wants her to think.