Chapter Five

"I thought they were supposed to be able to go wherever they're needed the moment we get a chance to capture or kill a slender?"

"They can, doesn't mean it isn't incredibly difficult though. But the real issue is them deciding whether or not to believe you."

Her tone hardens" I joined this agency so that people would finally START believing me."

"Look, I'm here to give you the strait facts and that's what I'm going to do. Your one of the few people who have actually met the Slenderman who isn't dead, but the thing is, meeting the Slenderman almost always makes people go insane. And you're a paranoid enough wreck as it is."

"I don't care if they question my sanity, as long as they get a team to that café. I'll check back soon."

"Okay, over and out.... Man I've always wanted to say that."

She hangs up and gets to work writing down a description of the event in detail to send to the agency as soon as possible, a common practice that was encouraged by the agency due to the treat of memory loss caused by the slenders. She works quickly, trying to get every detail of how he moved, spoke, where she saw him, what she was doing earlier that day, everything, managing to get the report done in just under an hour before sending multiple copies to different addresses on the internet. It was about two in the morning when she finished and looked around for a place to get some rest. Forsaking her hotel bed, she instead looks for somewhere more public to sleep, where there would always be people around while she slept. Her first option was the bus, full of people, always moving, relatively cheap, and much better than the subway, she had a very bad experience with the subway.

But she was unable to find a time and a route that suited her purposes, so she left the hotel and walked the streets in search for a good spot, but the only things that were open within walking distance were nightclubs and fast food restaurants, her previous experience, along with general common sense, letting her know that neither were good places to get some shut eye. She would have to wait until morning, when she could sleep in the hotel lobby, or on a bench at the mall. And since she wasn't going to be getting any sleep anyway, she figured she might as well go somewhere where sleep was almost impossible.

She sits alone at the bar of the biggest nightclub she could find, full of loud music, flashing lights, and dancing people. He holds a half empty bottle of Pepsi in one hand (no way was she drinking any alcohol) while she propped her head up with the other, staring at the pattern of the tabletop in front of her. Shifting her position, she looks up to glance at the people around her, only to see Sexual-Offenderman, human sized and sitting on the barstool next to her, leaning on the bar and lazily tracing a finger around the edge of an empty martini glass, looking at her with a slight smirk on his otherwise blank face.

"So, you're a secret government fangirl. I like it."

She wakes up in her bed like she was waking up from a terrible nightmare, siting strait up as the shock and surprise of seeing him there in the nightclub washed over her like it had just now happened. She takes a few deep breaths, taking in her surroundings. This was her hotel room. That's not right.

She leaps out of bed and grabs the nearby digital alarm clock. It read 9am of the next day, so if she did have memory loss it was minimal. She fights the thought that it may have all been a dream, having learnt long ago how dangerous it can be to start questioning herself with these sorts of things. Instead she tries to go through a mental checklist. She checked her clothes. They were the same ones she wore yesterday. Not right. She always changes her clothes before she goes to sleep, wearing something akin to pajamas, but not out of the ordinary enough to cause any suspicion in case she has to leave in a hurry. She doesn't feel hurt or anything, but she still checks for any injury's she didn't have before. Nothing new, but the message it had written across her arm was still there. Wait, rose petals, whenever a missing person's case or the like comes in one of the main clues pointing to Sexual-Offendermans involvement was rose petals. She tears the sheets from her bed, opens the closet doors, and scours every inch of the small hotel room for flower petals of any kind, even doing a quick spot check in the hallway outside her room for good measure, nothing.

She pulls out her cell phone and places it on the bed as she quickly works to pack a small back pack with her laptop, a new change of clothes, and the complementary soaps, shampoos, etc. provided by the hotel. Slinging the bag over her shoulder, she picks up her phone and calls the agency as she leaves the room, heading down to the hotel lobby. The moment the phone is answered she says

"It knows that I work for the government, but it seems like it will still be attending our previous engagement."

A different voice answers this time, saying in a very professional sounding voice. "Can you give me a description of your encounter?" but in the background she can hear arguing and the muffled words "I don't care about the god damn constant vigilance shit! It's my legal right to be able to use the bathroom! But I'm here now so fuck off!" And the sound of a headset being adjusted before the regular guys voice comes in "alright, tell me everything."

"I just woke up in my own bed."

"Right after a slender encounter? You? That can't be right."

"Exactly"

"Well do you have any other evidence to convince the big wigs?"

"No."

There's a small pause before he asked "You weren't raped were you?"

"I don't think so. But I have a six hour black hole in my memory, so I can't rule out the possibility."

She reaches the hotel lobby, setting down her backpack and taking out the laptop. Shifting her phone to her shoulder as she begins to type.

"I'm beginning my report now."

"Send me the cliff notes version." He waits for a minute as she types it out and sends it to him.

"Alright got it." He says over the phone. "Wait, you met him in a nightclub?"

"It's obvious that this one isn't as prone to secrecy as the Slenderman." She answers.

"Well, we're pretty sure the Slenderman has had his fair share of party's as well" he says jokingly. "Are these his exact words?"

"Yes."

"Jeeze, this thing is starting to sound less like a sex crazed boogieman and more like a comedy relief character from a sitcom."

She really appreciated it how he would try to lighten the mood whenever he could, even though he wasn't particularly good at it.

"It seems that it was following me around for a good time after I left the alley. I can only assume it's still listening as we speak."

"We'll just have to risk it for now, but point taken. I'll try and be a bit more vague."

"So, what do I need to know?"

"Well, the military jerks are trying to replace you for the interview."

"We both know that's not an option."

"Yeah, but the bureaucrat bastards still want to waste time talking about it anyway. Although a couple of them are trying to prepare a list of questions for you, I'm supposed to give you a copy to memorize in a few hours, but my advice is, don't use it. Half these questions sound like they could get you killed on the spot, what with you being a massive shut in with no people skills and everything."

She didn't try to scold him for it, he was just being honest. He continues,