Part 4. Genevieve

Graduation.  I made it.
I paced nervously in the waiting hall with Nick and Jonah watching me. We were waiting to be called into line for our presentations
"Pixie, relax, we did it" Nick laughed, his arm around Jonah, they looked happy and comfortable together.
My mind pictured me with the boys, in their arms and I shivered.  "It's not that" I moan and they pull me into a hug, I know and they know the boys will be waiting for me.
The main door opened and we were called to line up alphabetically, Nick moving forward, Jonah in the middle and me towards the back.
As our names are called we all move forward to shake hands and receive a scroll of paper, pausing mid shake to allow our families to clap and take photos. And then it was all over. Jonah and Nick pulled me into a hug and laughed at my shocked look, before Nick led us outside to join our families.
Jonah's parents had come over from America and were stood with my parents chatting happily, I heard Nick hiss as he spotted his parents stood off to the side looking uncomfortable. Jonah took his hand. "They are here, they're trying, don't think about anything but that" he told Nick softly.
Jonah's dad pulled us all into a hug offering congratulations, and I caught the look of pain and another emotion that crossed his parents face.  Were they jealous?  I turned to face them smiling and introduced them to my parents before re-introducing them to Jonahs parents, starting off a conversation about where we were going to lunch and who would be joining us.  Nick's mother smiled gratefully at me and readily accepted joining us when mum asked her too.  Nick squeezed my hand and whispered "thank you" before engaging both his and Jonahs dad in a talk about art.
I looked around at my friends and family and smiled to myself, Nick and Jonah would be alright, their parents were talking and the atmosphere was becoming more relaxed as we all walked to the restaurant.  Once we were all sat, Mum handed me a gift bag. "I was asked to give this to you today" she told me with a smile.  I reached inside and pulled out three gift boxes and a card, my whole body tingling in anticipation, nervous about what was in the boxes, knowing they had sent them to me.  The rest of the table disappeared into the background as I opened the card and read their comments

Dearest Evie, congratulations on your graduation, times up my love,  Noah x
Baby Girl, you made it congratulations, we will see you soon,  love always Eli x
Our Darling Evie, We are proud of you for reaching for your dreams, now we are reaching for ours, coming baby, ready or not, Riki x

Oh my god, my heart was racing at their words, seeing them written down made it seem so real.  I glanced up to see Jonah and Nick watching me and smiled embarrassed and excited as they both wiggled their eyebrows at me, making me laugh.  I looked at the gifts and reached for one, tearing off the paper to reveal a white box, I opened it and gasped quietly, it was a key attached to a crystal heart keyring. my hand shook as I pulled it out of the box, I knew what it was, it was a key to the granary, the house that they had just moved into together.  I reached for the next gift, opening it cautiously to reveal a bangle, the three colours of white, rose and yellow gold twisted together to form a vine with delicate heart cut aquamarine gemstones inset, as I lifted it out of the box I could see writing inside and tilted the bangle to read it 'Ours Forever Noah Elijah Jericho' my face blushed red and I jumped as mum said "Oh, that's beautiful, let me see", I slipped it on my wrist and held it out to her, wanting to keep the inscription to myself.  After everyone had commented on how lovely it was I looked at the third box, it was smaller than the rest but it made me most nervous, I opened the box and felt faint as I saw the ring box inside, my hands shaking as I tipped the box out. "Open it" Nick prompted me and I gulped but did as instructed, a panicked laugh escaping at I looked at the contents... Inside were three love heart sweeties, each one with a different message on them 'Promise' 'One Day' and 'Marry Me' I snapped the lid shut and closed my eyes until I could feel the stares from around the table.
"Well, what was in the last box?" Nick asked impatiently and I passed it to him, unable to explain.  I watched his and Jonah's heads together as they looked inside and huge grins split their faces as they too worked out what it meant.