Chapter One Hundred And Eighty Four - A Mission That Cost Too Much

Their mind was still a little broken, which was tiring.  There were few times when they agreed on something and arguments were long, often causing headaches.  They would fight over the most stupid things like which shirt to wear, when they had only managed to scavenge three and one was always in the wash or whether to use their food points on getting a leg of duck or chicken.  They would bicker over whether they should walk to the left of their lover or to his right.  They would squabble over whose personality should be at the front of their mind when entering Kyan's body, when it hardly mattered as by the fruition of their lovemaking sessions, they were at last one and finally at peace.  If only that feeling lasted...

Adam was currently in control, the others in various states between sleep and alertness.  His fingers were currently massaging the knots in Kyan's lower back, after he had caught him frowning in discomfort, still half asleep.  He'd practiced this a fair bit in his life when Kyan was known as Owen as their sessions between the sheets had often bordered on violent, their passionate love for each other wild and untameable.  In the heat of jealousy, they had been rather harsh upon Kyan's body, not that he had complained once, his moans and cries had been music to their ears.

"Keep going," Kyan mumbled as he melted into Adam's touch.

"I wish I could, love," Adam replied.  He leaned down and placed a kiss upon the pliant flesh, before sighing. "But I have to get going. The squad is planning to raid one of your factories." His lover had been an owner of cloth factories and the base was in need of cloth as most wore tattered garments and patching worked only so well.  Now that food supplies were more assured, the squads left the base to grab other things to make lives easier.

Adam really did not want to leave the base.  With the assistance of his Elyas personality, they had remained on base as a teacher of magic for the past few months.  But the general had placed him in Aston's squad and seeing as Yang had finally caught onto the fact that the three were actually outsiders, people who did not belong in this world, he needed to keep an eye on them until they could safely leave. 

Adam watched a pout form on Kyan's face.  "You owe me the rest of this massage," he said before drifting back to sleep.  Adam chuckled softly before rising from their bed.  Taking the water he'd set to boil earlier, he washed himself over quickly before dressing in the shirt of his choice before the others could protest and neatened his hair, brushing past the earring in his ear as he did.  It was a black stud, a communication device that Yin and Yang had created.  It would allow him to reach Kyan from afar.  He noticed that Kyan's device was still on the table.  Hopefully he noticed soon, Adam didn't have the heart to disturb him now.

He made his way to the front of the base and didn't have to wait too long before Mabel and Sidney appeared.  The rare sunlight sparkled upon their earrings, one red, one blue.  They had marvelled that such small things could do the same thing as a telephone!  But actually, theirs was also to transport them from this world once their time ended.  They would go back to wherever they originally came from.  Adam wasn't a hundred percent clear upon this as the memory he had of it was strangely fuzzy.  He yawned as they waited for Aston, Quentin and Sister Marie.

They arrived late and blamed it on each other.

The factory was a fair distance from the base, they would have to pass through Hilton's old neighbourhood to get to it.  His makeshift barricades were still there, but a handful of zombies had managed to bypass them somehow.  Clearing that small group out gave them a place to rest, however, before they moved on toward their main prize.

"How are Virgil and Elsie?" Elyas asked Mabel as they ate rations that had been nicknamed 'mystery cake.' It was formed of dried fruits, dried nuts, grains and flour and held together with syrup, honey or lard, basically it was formed of scrounged rations. Each mouthful could only be considered an experience. Everyone washed it down quickly with water after every bite.