CHAPTER 13

Hyungwon's dad pulled the trigger. Hyungwon didn't flinch. The gun made a ridiculous click sound. And General Chae drew the gun back and opened the gun to see it wasn't loaded. "How dare you ridicule me!" He bellowed and whacked Hyungwon upside the head for the umpteenth time. And this time his ear rang. It rang and rang annoyingly. It was so loud Hyungwon wanted to claw his ear drums out with a chopstick.

Hyungwon felt his left ear go dead. He pushes himself up so that he would stand and tower over the old rat that his father is. Hyungwon told him. "I'm going to find mom and I will press charges. I shit you not, dad." General Chae punched Hyungwon square in the chest. "You're not going anywhere. Not when my men are out there. They'll do everything to keep you in the country." Hyungwon clenched his teeth and raised his fists.

This time around Hyungwon was the one doing the beating. He felt so damn angry. His hands worked like a drill. They kept pounding at his father until he crumbled before him. Hyungwon breathed as if he were a dragon breathing fire. "You're not my father. You never have been and you never will be."

Kihyun and Jooheon were surrounded. They were surrounded by the militants and their ridiculous Jeeps. "We did nothing wrong." Kihyun said raising his arms. "We swear it. We didn't commit prostitution. Whatever it is you think we did, it's not us. You got the wrong guys. I believe you're looking for Yoonho and Kwangi. I think that they're dead, but you can try and go find them. They're probably at the back of our school smoking pot or having a substance party—something like that."

One of the soldiers forced Kihyun to shut up. "You have the General's papers. Hand them over and we'll pretend none of this ever happened, kid. This is serious business and those papers are not toys." The tip of a cold rifle pushed into the middle of Kihyun's back. The soldier told him, "If you don't hand them over I'm going to kill you in one shot then I'm going to hack at you with a knife until your nothing but pieces of flesh. Then after that I'm going to shoot you some more and maybe I'll set you on fire, too. Sound like an appealing way to die?"

"When I think about what you just said and try to picture it, no. No it does not sound fun. Thank you very much." Kihyun said. Then as if to tempt the boys into giving them what they wanted, one of the militants asked which of the boys was Lee Jooheon. "I'm that guy." Jooheon said and the soldier smirked. "We were going through your home, which is now a pile of nothingness. And we found these two little critters in the midst of it." He said as he stalked over to one of the Jeeps and opened the trunk to reveal to kittens inside it.

They were Jooheon's cats; Yoshi and Gucci. "They have such cute names," the soldier told him, taking Yoshi into his arms. "But it's such a shame that they're so young and that they have to die soon." The Officer then continued to speak as Jooheon grit his teeth. "I'm not going to threaten you to do anything. It's up to you to give us the papers or not. I'm going to kill them anyway."

The officer placed the cats on the floor. "And I'm going to make you watch."

Two shots were fired. And the cats fell in a harmonious thud to the cracked gray stone. Jooheon grit his teeth again. In a stiff voice, he said: "How can you serve the country and protect us in war and be this cold hearted? They were babies! They weren't even a year old yet! How can you be so fucking heartless? How can you think this is fair? How can you think this is okay to do?" Kihyun smacked Jooheon upside the head. "I think if you don't shut up, they'll kill you too. Or maybe not just you, both of us."

"Are you boys friends with Son Hyunwoo?"
"Yes."
"I saw him at the retirement home having a meltdown. Looks like he's going to commit suicide. Maybe as, you know, his friends, y'all should go stop him? We're not stopping you, you can go."

So they ran once again.