CHAPTER 17

PART 2.5: BEAUTIFUL

You're so beautiful.

I can't take my eyes off you.

Like a thorn on a flower; I know I'll get pricked.

But I still want you.

So beautiful, so beautiful.

You're so pretty, so beautiful, it makes me sad.

Too beautiful to handle.

______________________________________________________________________

The van stopped. And the doors were thrown open. Everyone filed out of the van including Jooheon. The building was tall and white and huge. ''So this is the government facility thing,'' He commented, trying to sound bored. The three men clad in black didn't say anything. They just shoved him into the building. They passed many rooms and cubicles. Then they went into an elevator. ''Not that I give much of a crap, but where are you taking me?'' Jooheon asked with his arms crossed over his chest. ''To the labs.'' Jooheon the accidentally dropped his excuse my charisma demeanor. And he became a teenage boy again. His eyes grew as wide as tractor tires and he almost yelled hysterically; ''YOU HAVE LABRADORS? I LOVE LABRADORS!" The woman frowned at Jooheon. ''No, we don't. We are going to the science labs.'' Then Jooheon calmed down. ''My friend has a dad who's a scientist. He dissected a rat in a science room once. Does he work here?''

The woman didn't answer, but she showed him all the things the flowers did to the humans. She explained to him that they were mutant. ''Oh, so that's why I kept seeing the world in holo.'' Jooheon said sarcastically. He basically answered everything back to her with sarcasm. This was for two reasons. One, because he kind of already knew and two, because he was bored out of his mind. Soon, somehow they ended up facing an thick black curtain. ''You want to know why we had to wipe out humanity?''

''God, yes. Why?'' The woman then explained that someone stole the original mutated flower seeds and planted them everywhere and anywhere they could. Scientists in other countries were able to multiply the amount of seeds so they could grow more. ''We keep lots of secrets here, son. Exactly ten months ago there was a UFO crash in our very forest. And there were really small aliens who carried these absurd genes. A militant killed them and brought them down here to our labs and the scientists found they had something in their DNA that would make for a really powerful weapon for wars. And the flower was the way we would fuel that weapon.'' Jooheon looked incredibly shocked. ''Cool.'' Jooheon said in a daze. ''After killing them, they left behind something strange. I will show you, but let me continue. The flower are pretty, they have an intoxicating scent. But consuming them is toxic to humans. That is why we had to wipe out the human race. We couldn't let the people see or be near the flowers.''

''But I've eating them and I'm fine.''

''That is why we will run tests on you.''

''I'm sorry, what you're telling me is so interesting and cool, but can you please show me what's behind that curtain?''

''If I show you, will you lend your body to science?"

''Depends.''

''Very well.''

She pulled back the curtain and Jooheon saw it. Without hesitating for a split second He agreed to do it. ''Only under one condition, though.'' He said while folding his arms. ''I want to go back to my friends. We will go into the forests to see it. I have to tell them everything. I really can't stand them hating me. They're all I have left.'' And the woman agreed and allowed him to go.

+++

Hyungwon's father had enough of Hyungwon. ''Just how many times have I warned you that I would kill you?" He asked, squeezing Hyungwon's ear until it turned purple. ''Everyday since I was six.'' With that Hyungwon was thrown into the wall. ''How dare you answer me back!'' He watched Hyungwon slide to the floor. He enjoyed seeing his son all weak and helpless. That is exactly how he wanted his son to die, weak and helpless and quiet. He went into the bathroom and filled the tub with cold water. And he blocked the drainage pipe. He waited until the tub filled to it's maximum capacity. Then he hauled Hyungwon to the tub and dumped him into it like he was trash. ''Dad, please don't do this.'' Hyungwon begged as soon as his body hit the cold water. 'You did this, you asked for it. Now you die and you take all your sins with you.''

''I didn't burn the house!" Hyungwon protested. ''Stop telling lies and shut up so you can die. Best that you die silently and your friends will forget about you.'' Hyungwon grit his teeth. ''Someone will save me, I know it! And even if I die like this, they won't forget me. They can't forget. They won't forget...''

With that the General's hands wrapped around his neck and pushed Hyungwon all the way underwater. He squeezed the boy's neck until he couldn't feel a pulse anymore and until Hyungwon's long legs stopped thrashing. When the General was done, he released his grip on his son. He wiped his hand on a towel and he stalked away. He didn't feel even the slightest bit sad or ashamed. He was glad. ''Good riddance.'' He said as he fixed his tie and left the summer house.

+++

Minhyuk knew that Hyungwon also had a summer house by the beach. He knew that had to be where Hyungwon was whisked away to. So he got up told his friends and made a run for it. He had to save him before it was too late. The wind was cold. It howled in his ears and bit as his skin making it red with frostbite. He ran along the shoreline until he saw the small white summer house. He saw the door was left wide open.

So Minhyuk ran through the house, calling Hyungwon's name. He searched every room until there was only the bathroom left. He burst into the small bathroom and gasped at what he saw. 'No. No... No, no, no...'' Minhyuk whispered and quickly got on his knees and checked Hyungwon's pulse. There was none. Minhyuk bit his lip and ran a hand through his white hair. A single tear fell as he tried to think of a solution. He bit on his nails and continued to think. He sat on the counter and thought some more. And that was when he got it.

He reached into his pocket and held the little glass vial of blue liquid in between his fingers. Should I revive my best friend? He dismounted the counter and sat on the edge of the tub. He opened the vial and and tilted it. Is it worth it? Millions of what ifs ran through his mind like there was a marathon in there. It was either all in or all out. He would not continue to fight without his best friend. So he went for it; he poured every last drop if the liquid into the tub, then he discarded the vial on to the floor beside him. Minhyuk, with tears in his eyes, climbed into the tub and heldHyungwon's waist with one arm and the other held his hand.

There Minhyuk cried into Hyungwon's not beating heart. ''Hyungwon,'' He cried. ''You have no idea how much I love you. Not in just a friendly way, but in the other way. I wish I could have told you when you were alive. I wish that you could have answered my confession. I love you and you alone. I want nothing but to be with you. Hyungwon, I really love you.... Like, a lot...''

Then for a second there was only silence and Minhyuk's sniffles as he attempted to calm himself. Then he felt Hyungwon's previously dead hand squeeze his own. Minhyuk looked up and saw Hyungwon's eyes had fluttered open. Just like in Sleeping Beauty. ''Are you alright?'' Minhyuk asked, his eyebrows knit in concern. ''I'm fine.'' Hyungwon said in a whisper. ''By the way I heard what you said.'' Minhyuk's cheeks turned a light shade of pink. ''How much did you hear?'' Hyungwon then pretended to think as if to mock Minhyuk. ''Hmm... All of it.''

''I must be fucking drunk, you don't have to accept what I said.''

''No,'' Hyungwon said as he brought his free hand to cup Minhyuk's warm cheek. ''You're drunk, and I'm not dead. And I love you, too.'' Hyungwon leaned in and their lips met. It felt like watching the Fourth of July fireworks. Or watching the fireworks at disneyland. It was really beautiful. When Hyungwon pulled away he let his hand linger a little longer on Minhyuk's cheek before letting trail down to his hip. ''Did you know that you're really fucking beautiful?''