the magic of death

"Mama." Caelina Ashbourne curtsied stiffly.  But upon Safaera Ashbourne's beckoning grin, she galloped towards her and ran into her outstretched arms.

"I have missed you so much, Cel. The meeting of the Head Mages was absolutely dreadful, and I craved your smile and your happiness every day." Safaera peppered her daughter with forehead kisses as she smoothed down her white-blonde hair.

"Hello, Caelina." Her father's voice boomed through the room. Caelina withdrew herself from her mother's embrace to see her father.

"Papa, Papa!" She scrambled to him, nearly tripping over her billowing skirts. He grabbed her to throw her up, and she screamed in delight.

Safaera pretended to be unamused, although her lips twitched. "Draeko. One of these days you're going to drop Caelina and she is going to get hurt."

"Safaera, my love. Relax. I will protect our only child. No harm will ever come to her."

For the next few years, it was true. Caelina, until the age of seven summers, was cherished and loved by her parents. Despite them being the powerful Head Mages of Equinox,  one of the realms of Innulion, the magic had skipped Caelina, leaving her bereft of any powers—a NonMage.

NonMages weren't uncommon, but any time Caelina stepped out to the public, people would laugh and whisper about her.

But Safaera and Draeko Ashbourne defended and protected their daughter from anyone that tried to crush her spirit and made her feel worthless.

Yet, when Caelina finally hit seven summers, her world changed, fracturing everything she had enjoyed until that very moment.

"Caelina, my love. You're going to have a sister! Isn't that the most wonderful thing?"

 You're going to have a sister! Isn't that the most wonderful thing?"

When Daernya Ashbourne was born, Caelina loved her. She didn't want to, for she knew that her parents' attention would now be divided among them both. But one look at those golden eyes and soft brown hair, and Caelina was lost.

For the first few years of any Mages' life, their powers were submerged. Only on their fifth birthday did trace amounts come flooding out. It was up to the Guardians to help children control and channel their magic after that. That was why it took a few years to learn Caelina was a NonMage.

But Daernya wasn't normal. When she turned two, it was revealed she could control people's emotions. She could make people feel sad or happy at will. But she could also read people's thoughts and manage to twist them to do her wish. It seemed that the magic that had skipped Caelina, managed to give Daernya two powers-twice the normal.

Both go those could do great harm. However, Safaera and Draeko made sure Daernya used it for good.

If someone was sad, Daernya would make them feel happier. If someone had trouble calming down, she would instill thoughts in their mind that helped them relax.