4

Maryse POV

The 4 of us sat at the table in silence. Robert had his arms crossed across his chest looking like a pouting baby. 

"Maybe they just need a small break apart," Maryse said, trying to lighten the mood. 

"I don't think so, mom," Isabelle said. 

"Well, I'm glad that Alec finally came to his senses and figured out that this gay nonsense is just that. Nonsense." 

"Shut up Robert," Jace said. "You don't know what he's going through right now. So can you please act like a father and try to feel bad for him? Show some sympathy." Jace said and got up walked out of the room. 

"I gotta go," Isabelle said and got up quietly walked out of the room leaving Robert and Maryse alone.  

"Jace is right Robert," Maryse said, "I might not have been in love with the idea of Alec dating a warlock or a man but at least he was happy. That was all that mattered but you- You are so bitter. Do you really want to lose another son?" Robert was silent. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go talk to my son." 

Alec POV

Alec was lying on the bed. He didn't respect Robert but for some reason, he still felt bad for blowing up at him. There was a knock.

"Can I come in?" Maryse said through the door. 

"Sure," Alec said back. 

Maryse opened the door and sat next to her son. Alec didn't sit up.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize-" Maryse said but was cut off by Alec.

"Mom, it's fine. I just don't want to talk about it." Alec said turning onto his side so he wouldn't have to face his mother.

"I'm sorry about Robert said. I just want you to know I don't think that way. I don't care as long as my children are happy." Maryse said.

"I think that you are the only one in the clave that thinks that way," Alec mumbled.

 "Oh, you don't know that." 

Alec sat up so he faced his mother, "Yes! Yes, I do. I see the way people look at me when I stand up to talk at meetings. No one cares about people like me. They would rather us die than be happy. Even though being gay doesn't concern them at all! It doesnt affect them! So why do they care? Why does that change anything about me?" All of Alec's thoughts from when he was younger came rushing to him and spilling out of his mouth. 

Maryse looked surprised and a little hurt, "I didn't know you were hurting so much. Alec, I am so sorry.  And you are right it shouldn't matter to anyone but that one person." Maryse hugged Alec and kissed Alec's forehead. "Do you want to be alone?" She asked.

Alec nodded and watched as his mother exited the room. After a minute, once he knew she was gone, he buried his face in a pillow and cried. He said things he hadn't said before.