04

"Honestly, I didn't think we'd have to do this much homework

"Honestly, I didn't think we'd have to do this much homework. My hands are starting to cramp" Brandon whines as we walk through campus.

"We're in university Brandon, of course there's a lot of work" I roll my eyes laughing.

He turns to me crossing his arms, "Well we're all not as smart as you, I have a whole pile of homework I haven't even touched yet" he complains.

I laugh and shake my head stopping to face him. "Well you should probably go and start that" I say smirking, turning around and walking off without him.

"Wait can you help me!" he yells frantically after me.

I turn around and walk backwards. "Not a chance!" I yell back smiling, turning around to walk forwards again. I laugh as I hear him groaning and shake my head at his childish behaviour.

As I'm scanning the campus I see Jack and the blonde tour guide talking infront of the chess board. Curious, I walk towards them close enough to hear their conversation but far enough that they don't see me.

"I gotta ask" I hear Jack say, "This final test, is it worth it?" He asks the blonde. I furrow my eyebrows confused. What test is he talking about?

She looks around before answering his question "At first no" she replies. "It's demanding and consuming and a lot of sacrifice" she sighs, "But eventually yes, it'll be worth it".

"Why" Jack fires back. I start to move closer moving to hide behind a tree.

"Because of the potential, because of what you'll be able to do" she replies. I have a feeling that this isn't about an ethics test.

"Thank you" Jack sighs before walking off. Confused and curious a go to follow after him blending in with the crowds of students. What could he possibly be doing that involves "a lot of sacrifice" ?.

After hours of following him I end up at the cemetery. The cemetery our mother's buried in. What could Jack possibly being doing this late at night?

I continue to follow him deep into the cemetery, a familiar path we've both walked to our mothers grave. He starts to walk faster as if he's scared of getting caught. I lose sight of him for minuets so instead of trying to follow him I walk towards our mothers grave, having a feeling that's where he's gone.

My mouth opens and stomach drops as I see what's happening. Tears fall as I see Jack digging up our mothers grave. I stumble forward using headstones around me to keep my balance.

Before I can say anything I see a bright light followed by creepy laughing. Scared I'll get found I dive behind a headstone and peek to see what's happening.

"Oh man" I hear a stranger exclaim to Jack, "I just don't get the aversion to black and white, you know?" He questions holding something in his hand towards Jack. "There just something about it. It's so... real." He says turning what I now see is a phone towards Jack.

"You set me up" Jack says "Mums grave, nice touch". Annoyed at this stranger for messing with Jack, I pull out my phone and press record, pointing the camera directly at them.

"Mm. I do have a flare for the dramatics, don't I?" The stranger says stepping forward threateningly. "Okay, so this is how this is gonna go." The stranger nods, "You're going to drop out voluntarily, and I'll let you keep your scholarship" he threatens.

"So big of you Kyle" Jack replies obviously very pissed.

"Or you can keep being a belligerent little shit" 'Kyle' says getting frustrated, "And I take this to the chancellor, the police".

"Blackmail, oh man." Jack says fidgeting, "I though you were the killer".

"Oh no, no. If I was the killer you'd already be dead" Kyle threatens starring Jack straight in the eye.

Before it can go any further I step out from behind the headstone and stand up and stop recording. "I wouldn't do that if I were you" I say as I walk towards Jack and Kyle.

"Who are you?" Kyle asks confused, obviously not expecting company.

"Stella what the hell are you doing here?!" Jack yells annoyed that I followed him.

"Well I heard you talking to the blonde girl about a task so I followed you. Glad I did cause I'm about to save your ass" I say crossing my arms and popping out my hip.

"Oh, is that so?" Kyle asks sarcastically. Instead of responding I hold my phone up and press play. I watch as Kyles face turns white as the whole conversation I recorded plays out.

I smirk "Okay, so this is how this is gonna go" I say copying him from earlier. "You're going to delete that photo and I don't take this to the chancellor, the police" I say mocking him again.

Kyle scowls and fiddles with something behind his back. "How about you don't, and I won't kill you both?" He says. I watch as he brings out a knife from behind his back. Jack quickly picks up the shovel and steps in front of me.

Instead of Kyle lunging at us he brings the knife to his own hand and cuts it. With furrowed brows I watch as he whispers something into his bloody hand and blows a tombstone to pieces.

"What the fuck?" I whisper with wide eyes as I stare at the mountain of now cement.

"Holy shit" I hear Jack say. I turn to Jack to see him starring at something. I follow his line of vision to see something standing behind Kyle. I take a close look and see bright yellow eyes and sharp rows of teeth.

The thing growls grabbing Kyles attention. He turns around frightened and goes to run, running straight into Jacks shovel.

"Shit sorry!" Jack says, "No, wait! Fuck you, Kyle! Fuck you for bringing me here". The wolf snarls stepping closer towards both Jack and I. I'm frozen in fear as Jack tries to calm it down.

"On the count of three we run" Jack whispers to me, snapping me out of my frozen state. I nod and hold onto his shoulders for support. "One, Two....Three!" He yells. We both turn and run for our lives. As I'm running I hear a thud from behind and Jack yell.

I turn around to see Jack on the ground and the wolf coming towards him. Without thinking I run towards him, "Jack!" I yell scared for him. The wolf is getting closer to him, just before it reaches him I jump in front of Jack with eyes closed and arms stretched out infront of me waiting for impact.

I stand there for a couple seconds and the impact does not come. Confused I open my eyes to see the wolf standing infront of me, starring at me. I release a breath I didn't know I was holding and stare back at the creature. I tilt my head and slowly lower my arms while holding eye contact with it. It stares at me for a little longer before huffing and turning around, running away from us.

I stand there stunned and confused trying to process everything that just happened. I turn around towards Jack as he gets up. I narrow my eyes and cross my arms starring at him. "You're going to tell me everything" I threaten.