NINE: Revelation

"You swear you're okay?" He asked for the thousandth time that night.

"It is what is, move on. I have."

Eric looked down at me, his eyes narrowed. "Well where did you go? One minute you were here, and the next you were gone." He said, referring to the previous Thursday.

"I just needed some time alone." I smiled at him. "Can we please talk about something else."

Oh let it go already, would you! Enzo was right. I couldn't spend the rest of my life dwelling on all of the bad things he had done.

So Eric began to tell me a story about a date he had that weekend which ended up going horribly wrong. "We were talking for weeks, and not once did she mention the fact that she had a kid.

"Well, I get to her apartment to pick her up, and she invites me up stairs. I was kind of confused because I mean, that normally happens after the date, right? But I went up anyway and she's there, vomit on her sweater, screaming baby in her hands, dirty diapers all over the place. It was a disaster.

"I didn't want to look like a jerk so I went along with it. She told me that the babysitter had left her flat and she wouldn't be able to go out, obviously.

"So like a gentleman, I offered to reschedule even though I really didn't to. I think she should have at least mentioned that she had four month old baby. She also could have called to cancel instead of making me drive all the way to Queens to pick her up.

"I was going to just go home when she asked me if I could do her a favor. She had ran out of diapers and wanted me to stay with the kid while she went to the store."

"Wouldn't it make more sense if she gave you the money and asked you to pick it up for her?" I wondered.

"Yeah, and I even offered, but she was like, 'No, no, no, I'll just be a few minutes.' A few minutes turned into three f*cking hours! For three hours I got stuck with a screaming infant."

I couldn't but laugh... and laugh, and laugh.

"Yeah, hilarious." He said flatly, rolling his eyes.

"So, are you guys still on for next weekend?"

"Not a f*cking chance."

"You always make me feel so lucky for having never went on an actual date." I snickered, stuffing a handful of peanuts into my mouth.

"Never went on a date, but married a sociopath. Yeah, you're life sounds great." He tossed a couple of the peanuts into his mouth.

I rolled my eyes. "At least I'm not stuck with a screaming baby."

"The big boss doesn't want kids?" He asked, curious.

"It's too dangerous right now but who knows what the future has in store." I shrugged my shoulders.

"What the f*ck does that mean?"

"It's a dog eat-dog-world. The more he adds to his family, the harder it is for him to keep everyone protected. It's too risky." But at the same time Enzo needed to keep the family legacy alive.

"Sometimes I wish I could just like kidnap you and get you out of that horrible mess. Let you experience normal, human life." He looked sadder than I did.

"Maybe one day. After he's dead."

Eric chuckled.

"Who knows," I continued. "He probably will die before me the way he snorts lines and drinks bourbon like it's water. Then you can help me escape and we can travel the world together, backpacker style."